DishAnywhere Bandwidth consumption on home network

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DishAnywhere Bandwidth consumption on home network

TimCarson
Character Actor
I didn't read the answer that the stream is comming from Dish.

From what I read, the Anywhere App connects through the Internet, tells the Hopper which recording to stream, the Hopper streams the recording through the Internet to a Dish server that then sends it to the Dish Anywhere app.

It does this regardless of the app being local to the Hopper on the same wifi or someplace else on the planet with internet.

This makes the App useless if you have Satellite Internet, and means you are better off using a HopperGO even when at "Home", as a GO cannot access the internet, it has its own wifi server.

nuckjr
Character Actor

I completely agree with TimCarson. I can turn off the WAN connection to my router and still have a LAN Network connection and the app will no longer work. In my opinion, the app is garbage. It frequently disconnects from Hopper and has to be restarted several times a day. Everything else on my network works fine. Another good example, I can be watching programming or a dvr show and begin a large download and the app will freeze and could eventually lose connection. I am not surprised that the app doesn't work well, the Hopper I have is less than stellar and Dish won't fix it. They say I have to call in a certain number of times over a 6 month period to get some action. Frankly, I don't care to reset the Hopper over and over. 

DISH Employee

nuckjr, can you please send me a private message with the phone number and 4 digit security code on your account?

RKCRLR
Camera Crew

Test post.  I just typed a long reply, got an error, and lost what I typed.  

RKCRLR
Camera Crew

I have the same question.  I have DishNet and a Hopper 3.  I get different answers depending on which CSR I speak to.  

When I initially starting using the DishAnywhere app on my phone I was told that if my phone is connected to my home wifi and a transfer a recording from the hopper to my phone that I wouldn't use internet data to perform the transfer.  This seemed consistant with my experience back then.  

When I later called Dish with a semi related question I was told that I would use my DishNet data but I wouldn't use my cellular data.  I.e, if I transfered a 3GB recording then I would use 3GB of DishNet data but no cellular data.  I asked how that was possible (how does the data get to my phone?).  

I then talked to a different CSR.  I was told that I would use 6GB of my DishNet data to transfer a 3GB file to my phone (3GB up, 3GB down) if my phone was connected to my home LAN via wifi.  

Which is the correct answer???

And if it is the last, why on earth is the DishAnywhere app designed that way???  Even ignoring the data usage it would slow things down on "wired" internet.  

DISH Employee

Hello RKCRLR! I know it can be very confusing to get conflicting information, but if you are connected to your home wifi and are transferring a recording from your Hopper to your phone, it does not use internet data to perform the transfer. The only time it will use data is if one of the devices (your phone or your Hopper) are on a different network.

RKCRLR
Camera Crew

Thanks PaolaR, that answer makes total sense.  However, it appears that most Dish CSRs aren't aware of this. 

Is this documented anywhere (other than this post)?  It seems whenever I call Dish to discuss issues with DishAnywhere we get sidetracked with the discussion that I need to use my Internet data to transfer recordings to my phone.  The CSRs say they can't send me emails to document their answers so I asked them to document their last answer in their notes.  The last note documented says that I will use Internet data both ways when I transfer a recording to my phone when my phone is connected to my home LAN via wifi.  

I'd like to be able to point to a definitive answer that transferring files doesn't use Internet data so I can move on to the problem at hand.  

Thanks

Highlighted

DISH Employee

We certainly want to make sure that our CSRs offer consistent answers across the board, and I'll make sure we submit feedback on the type of answers that you have received. Thank you for any comments and suggestions that help us continue to provide the best experience for you and other clients.

TimCarson
Character Actor

Hello Paola, welcome to the dicussion.

Are you basing your reply on what you have personally tested, or the way you would assume the system works?

The reason I ask is, although your answer seems perfectly logical, it seems to be wrong when actually tested on real equipment.

For example what I did:

I connect both my Hopper and my wireless only tablet (No SIM Card) to the same WiFi network in my home.

The WiFI Router is a Verizion MiFi, which is a normal Access Point that has a SIM Card to gain Internet Access through Verizion when needed.

The Hopper can "see" the Internet, so it allows the Tablet to connect to it via the Anywhere app, and everything works fine. 

I watch a ~1GB Movie on the Tablet using only Anywhere, and my MiFi uses up ~1GB of Data from the Verizon Plan.

I turn off the access to Verizion's Internet and the Anywhere app stops working.

Several times I went way over my 15GB Data Plan when the only thing I used was the Hopper+Anywhere app while connected to the same Local Network (in the same house... remember that the Tablet is a WiFi only device, with no Verizion SIM)

So it seems what you are saying *should* be correct, but it is not. 

I have also actually tested this using other types of Access Points with identical results.

If the Hopper can't access the internet, it stops streaming to the locally connected devices.

This is why I switched over to Plex + Philo and am cancelling Dish as soon as the contract is up.

Time to cut the cord like many others are doing.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
If you’re not using a router, it wouldn’t work as described. If it is through a jet pack or mifi, it will use internet as there is no passthrough. The router is done through the home network.