Dish Anywhere on win 10 and any browser.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dish Anywhere on win 10 and any browser.

DISH Employee

Hi, jhubers1954! We would hate to see you leave the DISH family! I can understand that not being able to watch your favorite shows on the road can make the road trip dull. 

Can you describe the message that you are getting when you try to play the DVR through DISH Anywhere? 

One of the neat things that we offer is, if you have a Hopper 3 or the Hopper with Sling, is our Hopper GO. This is a storage media device that is able to store up to 100 hours of content, and you are able to watch it offline through DISH Anywhere. Here is a link to give you more information: https://www.mydish.com/hoppergo/ 

jasonrcody
Extra

I have had DISH services with a Hopper 3 receiver for about a year.  For the first few months My dishanywhere app was working great on all of my devices (android phone, mac and PC).  Around September 1st the video player would attempt to load after I selected a program from the guide on dishanywhere.com, it would "connect" to the Hopper, show the title of the program I selected, and begin the timer counting up as if it was trying to play the tv channel I chose.  The counter would freeze at about 4-6 seconds and the player would remain black.  I made sure my Mbps was strong and it was and even tried every browser I could think of - same issue.  This has gone on for months now and several DISH tech support reps could not explain it.  I tried again today 12/5/18 and a DISH tech support rep told me that it has to do with a windows 10 update and to contact them.  I spent a bit of time researching this issue on line and looking for chats regarding similar issues and couldn't find anything helpful or current.  I finally decided to go to Microsoft support and initiate a chat with someone from microsoft.  In quick order, they solved the issue and my dish anywhere is fully functioning again!  Bottom line is that there is in fact a solution out there and I wanted to post this for those of us in similar situations.  All it required was a "clean boot."   It required a couple of simple steps that they walked me through (not posting them here because I don't remember them all and I don't want to misdirect anyone).  But there is a solution - a "clean boot."  What I don't know is if i'll have to do that procedure each time I want to use dishanywhere or if this is an ongoing fix, but contact Microsoft support and they seem to be able to walk you through a fix.

DISH Employee

Thank you for this information, jasonrcody! 

fenech
Extra

i agree on the worthless. dish anywhere is a well marketed item in the sales of dish and if it not being supplied then the service we pay for is not being fulfilled and we should all be credited until it is fixed. Dish should not be allowed to operate like this. 

we are currently travelling and need the dish anywhere to work, its counted on. thats why we pay a ton of money to dish every year and our check always works! NO EXCUSES, fix the problem, thats what you are payed to do. If i ran my company this way i would not have one. 

as a long time dish consumer we see dish getting worse every year. they used to be a step above now just one of pack we are forced to deal with. 

i am on a surfuce Pro windows 10 with a great connection and unable to watch anything. Pink screen with Error 2 code which does not even apply to the issue. My DVR & hooper is fine. spent several hours with tech and to no avail. Then to top it off the survey question comes with every call. YOU DIDNT FIX THE PROPBLEM SO HOW CAN WE ANSER THE QUESTION????? 

DISH Employee

Currently Windows devices are not supported on Dish Anywhere. Are you able to access the app through another device like an Android phone or iPhone?

fenech
Extra

absolutely not true! we have another surface and it is running right now. let me repeat myself, worthless. when you represent dish you should know your stuff before responding with completely incorect answers which lead to long drawn out issues. PheonixM you are now on record for your respose and we expect you to correct yourself. 

is this dish or direct? be accountable with truths. 

DISH Employee

Only one device  can be using Dish Anywhere at a time. If you're able to view on a Surface device that's great, however Windows devices are not supported.

azalea4nc
Camera Crew

"however Windows devices are not supported." (Dish employee)

This exemplifies a more serious problem, how Dish handles customer issues.  I got bascially the same type of response when I reported this problem to customer service.  A standard practice used in FRAUDULENT customer service is to essentially blames the customer rather than deal with a problem.  Make the complaints go away not by solving them but by getting the customer to just go away (in this case by trying to convince them they are the problem).

Here is a link to Dish's webpage describing the system requirements for Dish Anywhere, https://www.mydish.com/support/services/tv/mobile-viewing/dish-anywhere/system-requirements

Yes, Dish is selling a product they say is compatible with all versions from windows 7 on up are supported.

DISH Employee

I do want to apologize for any confusion, azalea4nc. The DISH Anywhere feature isn't supported on Windows phones, and a few other Windows devices, but if you are trying to watch on a Windows computer we should definitely be able to get that working for you unless what you're experiencing is a known issue. 

Can you tell me the device and browser you're using to try and access DISH Anywhere? Also, will you give me more details with what's happening when you try to access it, please?

azalea4nc
Camera Crew

I think "confusing" is an understatement, given the title of this thread is "Disn Anywhere on win 10 and any browser".

I have already wasted probably 5 hours of time dealing with Dish agents who were not qualified (or had no desire to) tackle fixing the problem.  And of course every time one contacts Dish with followup information or to correct mistakes made by a previous agent, it is a new agent so the whole process of looking for solution starts again from the beginning.  As someone with 50 years experience in the field, I know when I am dealing with an incompetent system.

Dish has a problem with its product and I am willing to help Dish solves its problem.  But I expect to be treated as part of the solution team and not as a customer Dish is just trying to appease.  One aspect of that threatment includes direct access to the people actually working on the software.

You ask for more information.  I have given that to multiple agents.  I even created a screencast so Dish could see exactly what was happening.  Not my verbal description, Dish could see EXACTLY what was happening.  All the Dish agents I spoke with said they had no mechanism for gaining access to that screencast.  I offered to email it as an attachment and also put it on a web page so they could just view it in a web browser.  The response was they could not do that.  So my help must come with Dish's assurance my assistance will come with appropriate respect for the use of my time.

BTW: the problem has happened using win 7, win 8, and win 10 and using both chrome and firefox.  The Dish Anywhere application asks that a plugin (I thought the Dish Anywhere app was the plugin) be downloaded but then does nothing when the download app button is pressed.  This situation occurs when one tries to watch a show from the On Demand library (for example, the show Billions).

PS: last night I tried to access a show recorded onm my DVR, something that had been working on win 8 (but another thing that does not work on win 10).  But the attempted access just hung (sping wheel) either when I pressed the DVR button or at other times when pressing DVR worked but then when I selected a show to watch.  The behavior had all the systems of a communication channel being overloaded.  But my DVR was operating on a fiber optic link with 50Mbs upload speed and my local system was operating on a sysem providing 10Mbs download (measured at the time).  So I strongly suspet the bottleneck was with the Dish equipment in the middle of the communication channel from my DVR to my local computer.  The problem was resolved at 4am when I tried again.  There are numerous known issues with DishAnywhere.  Why is there no message on the DishAnywhere website that details the known problems that is hampering the service, so customers know ahead of time the issues they will face?  Here is what I think the answer is.  Although that would be the responsible thing to do, it would also require Dish to acknowledge how crappy the Dish Anywhere system is.  And Dish wants to hide how terrible it is.  Do you have a better reason why Dish is so secretive of its DishAnywhere issues?  (This secretiveness even includes its own agents.  In first reporting my issues with Dish Anywhere I went through 3 agents before one acknowledge that the issues I was having was a known problem.  So not only is Dish not informing its users of its problems, it appears it is not informing its agents.