Dish Anywhere, new version

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dish Anywhere, new version

chubafelix
Audio Engineer

Well, its been over a week now, nothing fixed, no word from Dish. Don't see how anyone who used Dish Anyware could still want this product. Many good alternatives out there. Hulu is only $15 a month. Streams live TV to every platform you can imagine.

RAB
Extra

I'm with you....this new streaming version is inferior to the old. You can not back up at all and the many other options that were on the old are not available.

josephwit
Costume Designer

I record a program I watch after dinner every night. I usually get to it after the program has already started, and backed up to watch from the beginning while it was still recording the rest. Can't do that now.

For me, that was the entire reason for Dish Anywhere.  What were they thinking?

Since it is possible to do it on the TV with the hopper physically attached, why can't they get the hopper to stream it from  the beginning as well??

tom517
Camera Crew

I have experienced almost all of the shortcomings that others are writing, no, complaining about. I understand the reasoning behind the move away from Flash, but you've got to come up with something better than a viewer in a browser window. We need a separate viewer, in a re-sizable window, without all the "chrome", tabs, and other garbage associated with a browser. We need direct channel access, not access via the guide - most of the time, on a PC you know what you want to watch and don't want to dedicate the whole screen to it. This was a coward's way out of discontinuing the Flash-based player. These "little" things are what cause churn, and considering satellite -vs- cable and internet-based programming, satellite will lose - and lose big. Buying Boost and Virgin Mobile will not solve your problems. Customer attention will. Get a programmer, write an app, and give your customers what they want or the price you pay will be in lost subscribers. I realize that I am only one customer, but my contract expires in December and I can guarantee that if you ask for even one more dollar and haven't made an effort to resolve these issues, I will jump ship in the blink of an eye.

Jordanpaul
Camera Crew

Josephwit, This is one of many of my major complaints. When I was away on a trip, this "New" interface was rollled out and the show would not show up as being recorded until the entire show had been recorded. On my desktop at home, none of the shows I normally watch and are listed as recorded on my Main Dish receiver even show up as available. Dish Anywhere was a huge reason why I enjoyed Dish so much and now it isn't even functional!

DISH Employee

Hi there, Tom517. The voice of the customer is so important for us to become the best in the industry and how we can improve for you. The DISH Anywhere service is always being worked on and we definitely want to improve this service for our customers. We are sad to hear that the newest update isn't quite up to your standards, but feedback from customers like you are how we know what to focus on. This forum is an excellent place to submit feedback for our team to be able to see what our fans want us to work on. We take all feedback very seriously. 

tom517
Camera Crew

Hi, Jasonl | Dish Employee.

Thank you for your speedy reply. It's not that the new player/method doesn't meet my standards, it's that it doesn't meet anyone's standards - and it's not really standards that are in play. It is expectations. We expect more from Dish. Everyone in the industry knew that Flash was being depreciated. Expecting us to lower our expectations to ease your pain just doesn't cut it. There are alternatives - and the current "solution", as demonstrated by the complaints in this thread, is not acceptable to the community.

Thanks again.

josephwit
Costume Designer

Agree with Tom517's reply below. Dish Anywhere is why I always recommended DISH to friends. Now it is non-functional.

I hope DISH shows us our trust was not misplaced!

AztekAl
Camera Crew

Hi All,

Just an update on the bandwidth / data usage issue of the new interface.

I have once again confirmed that the my live TV stream is being sent out over ther internet and then comes back in, even though my PC is on the same hard wired home network as the Hopper 3.

Depending on the stream quality (which we no longer have an indicator for), I experience 1-3 Mbps in each direction.

(my bandwith is limited because of Satellite internet provider, so your data usage rates may be even higher)

I have also tested the iOS phone app and the Android phone app to stream live TV from the Hopper 3, and neither one of these creates any outside internet traffic for the stream - it is contained within my local network.

Using dishanywhere.com on my home PC was part my daily lifestyle for years, and now it is unusable for me.

I think this is a common usage case for subscribers.

Do the dishanywhere.com developeres realize that "anywhere" for many of us means at home?

I know this was a big part of their advertising compaign, so the new developers may not have gotten the memo.

Please Dish, bring back my ability to use dishanywhere.com without using up my internet data / bandwidth.

BTW, as I mentioned in an earlier post, there are definitely a lot "opportunities for improvement" with the new interface, but if they don't correct the local streaming issue, what the interface does or doesn't do is a moot point for me.

josephwit
Costume Designer

Agree!

DISH should restore the previous DishAnywhere Player version immediately while they work out their issues and bugs with the new iteration. It will take time, and meanwhile, we subscribers are left hung out to dry. Smiley Sad