cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dish Anywhere, new version

AztekAl
Camera Crew

Thank you snissen.

I am only able to report what I am experiencing, some may have the same issues and find it helpful, while others may not.

For your benefit, I pulled out my Amazon Fire tablet and checked the DishAnywhere app:

I had the same positive result as the Android phone and iOS phone apps that I looked at, no significant internet data use while streaming - all the high bandwidth data flow is contained within my local network

The Amazon App interface is quite nice, as is that of the Android & iOS Apps.

I was also curious if my external data (out & back) issue may be related to my browser choice (Google Chrome), so I tried it on Edge, and although the dishanywhere.com page loaded, I received the following error when I tried to start the live stream:

"Your browser is not currently supported for streaming Live TV and DVR content with DISH Anywhere. Please use a Chrome or Safari browser to access this content."

So, it looks like if it isn't working right on Chrome, it isn't working right...

Since the error message also says Safari is supported, I fired up an iMac to check it out:

It took a surprising long time for the live TV feed to start, but once it did, there was the same out & back behavior, with low quality picture.

During the initial stream loading, it started and stopped several times in what appeared to be changing bandwidth rates, so I am guessing it was trying to find a rate at which it could stream smoothly.

On a related topic, some have reported not being able to stream live TV at all.

Sure, the "live TV" button is missing from the new interface, but if you select the guide and then click on a show, you will get the option to "watch" - at least that works for me.

So again, I am "able" to watch Live TV, I am just being forced to "choose not to" because of the internet data usage and associated low quality picture.

Some have asked why I believe that there is an "out and back" issue.

As I had mentioned in my earlier posts, my first indication was a poor picture quality, and then I confirmed it my looking at my router traffic:

Anything going out or coming back over the WAN port is outside of my local network, and is potentially costing me money.

This is something that I have learned to do as an internet user with low speed broadband and a monthly data cap (satellite internet), and I am particulary sensitive to any changes to my "norm". (i.e. Windows updates can suck up a whole month's worth of data if you are not careful)

On yet another related topic, felix mentioned something about the Sling TV service, and once again, I think he is on to something there.

The new interface gives you the option to watch channels that are straming live over the internet, without the need for having a Hopper.

This sounds very close to the Sling TV model, and are probably interrelated technologies:

We are pleased to announce the launch of live streaming channels on DISH Anywhere for everyone!

All DISH customers are now able to access these internet-streamed channels on DISHAnywhere.com and the DISH Anywhere mobile apps (iOS and Android), regardless of what type of receiver you have. With live streaming channels, you can access more on-the-go content than ever before.

Check out these channels today in the Live Streaming section of the DISH Anywhere guide – and check back regularly for more channels!

I am sure others will disagree, but my personal opinion is that the Dish Network technologies are strong, and I have appreciated many of the updates and additions that I have seen over the last several years; however, "sometimes" the implementation and rollout has been less than steller, but have always improved with feedback and time.

Once they solve this internet data usage issue, I will gladly go back to providing normal feedback about the interface, and experience the resulting evolution of the platform.

Highlighted

snissen
Camera Crew

Rumors are, Amazon is due to introduce a refresh of the Fire 10 tablet yet this year. (They did so for the Fire 7 earlier this year.) The "current" 2017 Fire 10 tablets have been on sale for a few weeks, which tends to confirm the rumor.

So I will be watching for the new Fire 10, as my solution to this DISH problem.

DISH, please consider providing a Windows 10 "app" that works like the iOS and Android ones!

aghecht42
Extra

eriously, this is such crap. They won't even accept my login to their communitiy and when they finally do I cannot even find this topic.

I have been using Dish Anywhere on my Mac and my Ipad for a several years (no complaints) - it had been a huge, good part of my life with my many surgeries that laid me up for months at a time and I needed entertainment. When I am not busy having body parts replaced, I am traveling for work. So imagine my surprise this week - I had been traveling for work with a huge project. So I want to shut my brain off to fall asleep - so I want to watch crappy TV - I have a bunch of recordings on my DVR, but all of the sudden I can't watch them if there is more than one recording for a show. 

I pay a lot each month for this service but now it is useless on my laptop and I still can't get CBS (Atlanta) because DISH network and Meredith Corporation are obviously not going to reach a resolution - ( thought that would be resolved prior to colllege football.

wschwa
Character Actor

I just noticed that I can't watch Live TV of any channel that my hopper can get. I am limited to 24 fairly useless channels. None of the networks. I think Dish should offer me a free Wireless Joey until they support all channels. I'd be locked into one location but that's where I watch 99% of the time anyway. The more I use the new interface, the more I notice more features taken away.

How about it Dish? Show your support and contact me about this.

peggyrh
Casting Director
I just go to the guide & enter a channel number to watch live (I don't use the "live" category). All my channels are in the guide & available to watch or record. Yours doesn't work that way?

josephwit
Costume Designer

Click on guide, scroll down to the 200s where I watch, click on the program, click on "watch" - before it was just one click, "Live TV". That's really lame, but workable.

But if my show starts at 6pm, and I finish dinner at 6:15 and want to watch from the beginning on my PC (a program that is being recorded), there is NO WAY to do that. Usually, even after the program is over, it does not immediatety appear in the DVR list of recently recorded shows - the browser does not call to the Hopper for an update.

So I can't watch on the PC. I have to go to the TV with the hopper. There is no Dish Anywhere.

That's the  deal breaker.

wschwa
Character Actor

@wschwa wrote:

I just noticed that I can't watch Live TV of any channel that my hopper can get. I am limited to 24 fairly useless channels. None of the networks. I think Dish should offer me a free Wireless Joey until they support all channels. I'd be locked into one location but that's where I watch 99% of the time anyway. The more I use the new interface, the more I notice more features taken away.

How about it Dish? Show your support and contact me about this.

Tried it today and I can watch any channel live that I subscribe to. So this comment doesn't completely apply, except the fact that it seems to work sometimes and not others. Either that or the interface to figure out what was going wrong is not clear.

wschwa
Character Actor

Here's another issue... While clicking the forward 30 second buttone or backward 10 second button, in the previous player I used to be able to click those multiple times quickly and advance the predictable amount of time.  With this new player when I rapidly click, for example, 6 times forward 30 sconds, it does not advance 3 minutes as it should. It just advances 30 seconds. So to advance 3 minutes I must slowly click and wait for the video to play then click again, etc.  This is a big annoyance that needs to be fixed.

elmopalooza
Extra

I can no longer see the episode descriptions of my programs. I asked Dish and they give me this nonsense about how I need to update to a  hopper with sling to be able to do so. That's nonsense. I am not trying to watch live tv or any such thing. All I am doing is trying to manage my  recordings and timers. And I was doing that until they went and updated the thing and now it does not work like it used to. Stop trying to suck me into upgrading and just give me what I know I had before!

DISH Employee

We are always looking at updating our equipment to provide more streamlined features and options for our customers! We always welcome your feedback about these new features and how they impact you! Please visit: https://www.mydish.com/ and look for the red Leave Feedback button!