Dish Anywhere, new version

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dish Anywhere, new version

DISH Employee

Hi there! Here at DISH, we are always looking for ways to stay Tuned In To You! Without feedback from our customers, we would be unable to make your experience better. We will be delighted to pass this feedback along. 

snissen
Camera Crew

Thank you, ChristinaW, for acknowledging our feedback and passing it along.

chubafelix
Audio Engineer

ChristinaW, just to recap the issues in this thread that you offered to communicate.

1. A significant list of reduction in functionality from previous version, including navigation of DVR recordings, player controls, etc.

2. Major change in value proposition of Dish Anywhere player, where video streaming requires broadband data transfer instead of direct connection between Hopper and receiving device. Significant reduction of functionality for those who subscribe to Dish because they don't have a high bandwidth broadband connection (which is your typical customer base, NO?).

3. Lack of ANY notification to subscribers about a major fucntionality change (reduction).

Curious to see if anything will come of this communication, such as a reply to this communicaty.

F

Highlighted

cacara
Character Actor

Hi Joe, I agree with you.  The most annoying part of all these changes to DishAnywhere is how their customer service never knows a  thing what is going on.   They know less than I did about the service (the features of the Player) and the whole change they knew nothing about.  And worst of all, they don't care.  They say they will pass on our complaints, but nobody follows up or contacts you about anything.  Nobody in software development or level 2 calls back or gives me any information about why the change happened.   No heads up about the change also.  I'm switching to another service for many reasons.  I'm aggravated that DishAnywhere is now worse than ever.  I am angry they cancelled my local Fox station (KVVU) and the Fox Sports regionals were pulled off our lineup without any compensation to our bills for doing so.  Just too much bad customer service.

josephwit
Costume Designer

I note that the iOS apps do not seem to have changed - fortunately! They still seem fairly reliable. The 
"recently recorded episodes" displayed actually seem to have some relation to what is actually on the DVR!

Today, I was informed that my "user name/password combination had expired" when logging into Dish Anywhere, and this forum, though the old password worked just fine for MyDish (Dish account). Fortunately, changing the password did actually fix that.

What is Dish doing??

DISHgusted
Extra

As bad as the experience was with the new interface, I now can't watch at all. I am the proud owner of an error stating my hopper is not online anytime I try to watch now. I have reset and verified my hopper is indeed online. I have reset and verified that my computer is online. And of course the support link is still non-operational. This new and 'improved' version just keeps getting better and better. #IfItAintBrokeDontFixIt #WTF #MakingItEasyToFinallyCutTheCord

josephwit
Costume Designer
See if it works on your phone or tablet- they seem to be using the old method. Interesting if your Hopper is online there...?

chubafelix
Audio Engineer

My thoughts on the issue of iOS and Android apps is as follows.

Typical reason why Dish or other Broadcasters would invest in HTML5 based player is NOT just for PC. They would want to unify the user experience, streaming and authentication requirements and customers support to single development. Thus, any devices that are likely to use browser interface instead of customer app would eventually be moved to this approach. My guess is that iOS phones and tablets as well as Androind phones and tablets will soon move to this same HTML5 interface. Given that this will be the vast majoirty of user devices and that Dish did not really invest in SmartTV apps to begin with, I would say they will get rid of the old customer player that connects directly to Hopper to stream video in local network. I doubt they would care about those who object. 

Secondly, I noticed that when connecting to the Hopper for the first time after the HTML5 switch, there are some authentication problems. Generally, the Hopper kicks you out and requires you to re-login on all your devices. This is the easiest way for Dish to deal with customers. So, likely you are experiencing this AUTH problem. If you confirmed that Hopper has acces to the internet and your wifie, then just restart your mobile device and login using your Dish user name and passowrd. That should do it.

The most valuable suggest I can make is to start making plans to leave Dish. The World is moving away from being dependant on single broadcaster to give you everything you want. 

dirtroadchic
Extra

I am in the same boat as you. There is not a resume option and what's on my DVR is not what it on my recording.  Everything you said I feel the same exact way. It's really B.S.  The hubs has been wanting me to change to Directv for a long time but I loved the Dish anywhere access.... now I'm seriously thinking of going with Directv since I'm not able to pick upi where I left off nor find the show that I want to watch that was recorded on a specific date.  I hate it and it's not user friendly on hte PC to use.  

adelhabib142
Character Actor

I am not able to watch live TV. the button want away. This is unbeleivable. no announcement, nothing.

Done with Dish