Dish Anywhere, new version

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Anywhere, new version

chubafelix
Audio Engineer

Folks, I am just curious. Is anyone annoyed by Dish Anywhere? I am amazed at Dish Network blatant disregard of their obligation to treat Dish Anywhere as a product, just like they do with regards to quality of their satellite service and their receivers. Here is just a few of my examples.

This week, Dish rolled out a new web interface for Dish Anywhere. There was no notification of changes or of anything, you just go to the URL and everything is different. This new roll out has significantly reduced functionality as compared to just a few days ago. 
1. Clicking on support link results in "sorry, we can not find this page"
2. The Windows Dish Anywhere player is no longer used, an HTML5 player embedded in browser is now the video player. There was no attempt to de-install the Dish Anywhere player or any other message. It was just left installed but useless.
3. In previous Web application, there was a button to start live playback. Now there is nothing. You have to figure out to go to Guide and select the program you want to watch and clich watch.
4. In previous version, there was a control pad as part of the Dish Anywhere player where you could enter the number of the channel you want to watch, jump back to previous channels, etc. None of this is available now, NONE. 
5. Even through you logged in with your account password, you are still not able to watch your DVR content. To play each clip (I mean every time you click on any clip), a separate window pops up and you have to enter an access code. Worst yet, when the new Dish Anywhere was rolled out, I had no 4 digit access code, I could not access my DVR content, I had to go to my receiver and change the access code with remote control, even through I did not have a code before.
6. The list of recordings I have in my DVR window is useless. All the icons look same, there is no information on recorded date, any details of the program, nothing. YOu literally have to play it to figure out what it is. This was functional before
7. Before this roll out, I was able to RESUME a recording from my DVR on my Web Dish Anywhere. This function is gone as well. Everything starts from beginning, even if you find what you are trying to view.

Well, I am tired of listing any more, this is pathetic enough. And all this in just past couple of days. There were numerous broken playback functions in Dish Anywhere in the past years that I have subscribed to Dish, complaining to support is useless because they are trained to act like they don't understand what you are saying or that the bug is actually a feature.

Is this normal? I am I the only one anoyed by this? Just curious.

95 Replies

Re: Dish Anywhere, new version

wiesshund
Audio Engineer

Well for me, the old way did not work right, too many things did not work to list.

What they started is probably the right path.
With this, its universal windows or mac or linux or chrome OS, no helper software needed that doesnt work right etc

Everything seems to work now, for the most part
some things need tweaked (try picking scifi as an on demand filter, does not work, but other categories do)

DVR works now, it never would work before.

I was watching something and had paused it, and there was a skip to live TV option

I think they needed to do this because their dish app was not working well across all platforms.

Needs some fine tuning but in majority, it is working for me where it did not before, hopefully they can collect the feedback and quickly polish it up

Windows by the way, i dont think would allow a push uninstall, though a notice would have been nice

Golfmex
Extra

I'm annoyed just as much as anyone else, plus since it went to the new version I can't connect to watch live tv..I can watch recordings and watch streaming programs, but no live tv...

Highlighted

chubafelix
Audio Engineer

Wieshund, I doubt you actually read my post. I listed a number of deficiencies which you ignored. I guess you are running cover for dish. Good luck with that.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Why is the assumption that someone works for the company when they disagree with someone? Not sure you read his list either.

trooperguy1
Extra

I can't watch anything except streaming on my PC. Most of the time I get a black screen and nothing happens and sometimes I get a can't connect error code 2009. This update has been horrible for me. I have tried all 3 browsers and it does the same on all of them. However, everyting works great on my Ipad but I want to use my PC.

wiesshund
Audio Engineer

@chubafelix wrote:

Wieshund, I doubt you actually read my post. I listed a number of deficiencies which you ignored. I guess you are running cover for dish. Good luck with that.

?
I dont work for dish, maybe you ignored my earlier complaint thread a few down from yours?
I did read yours.

I had no problems watching my DVR, i did not have to put a code in at all (i dont have one set on my hopper)
as opposed to before with the stand alone app, i could not play anything from my DVR

i was able to type in a channel number (if i can remember the number) it was in the upper left
there are a few controls missing that the mobile app has, i dont personally miss those, though i am sure many do.
I'm sure they can add them in, probably after they cover any major issues with the new html5 based app
They can add stuff in easier too i imagine since they dont need everyone to download updates to a stand alone app

And app which never worked right for me in many ways, DVR would not work, full screen was anything but, and quite a few other things

I did see a Live TV button on the playback window, though i can not say if it did what ever the old one did.

One thing i noticed that was missing was the ability to see my hoppers tuners and see what they were currently playing

and the ability to have the hopper change the TV's channel, though i never used those too much

wschwa
Character Actor

I'm super annoyed by the changes. I used to be able to watch full screen on one monitor (or in a window of a size that I could define) while browsing recordings or the guide on another.  Now to browse, I have to see what I am watching on a tiny screen in the corner. This is not an upgrade for me. Give me the ability to pop the TV out into another window and size it and I could live with that.

I also hate the loss of the "Live" button and the input box for entering a channel number by typing it in. The "Live" button is analogous to turning on your physical TV and immediately having the station I was last watching start playing. Then it was fast and easy to enter a channel number. Now I must click on Guide, wait for it to load, and then scroll and scroll, or enter the number in a seach box and then click again on the channel, and then click YET AGAIN on the Watch button. SO MANY STEPS now when it used to be simple and fast. AT LEAST, put a jump to channel box on the video player so the guide can be bypassed most of the time.

I am also frustrated by the super large program and program episode images that take up so much space amd is nothing more than a row of identical images. At the very least, make them a little smaller but please give me an option to display all episodes of a program in a simple vertical list view, as before. 

Finally, (and this was also a problem in the previous interface) let me see my recordings and Primetime Anytime shows immediately as if I was sitting in front of my Hopper. The Dish Anywhere app/website is always 1-2 days behind.

There are other annoyances, but these are the big ones for me.

In concept, this change is probably the correct move in the long run but I have no confidence that Dish will improve this. I feel like I'm going to be stuck with this and I am not happy. My contract expires in a year so Dish has that much time to address these flaws or I'm may be gone.

chubafelix
Audio Engineer

Hi Folks, here is a follow up to my Dish Anywhere web player change post. Upon further exploration it is clear, Dish Network has abandoned their previous development team and their code base and chose to OEM the Bitmovin HTML5 player. Since Bitmovin player was designed for strictly OTT streaming applications, and not Broadcaster DVR or Satellite services, it has NONE of the usual functions that Dish's own development team worked hard to develop. Its a basic HTML5 stream player. So, Dish got rid of a bunch of developers, paid some minimal fee to Bitmovin and screwed their subscription customers. Yes, HTML5 player is the way to go but Dish product people have to do their job in defining market requirements for the new implementation and not just re-skin a cheap player. But, this move is consistent with Dish's lack of care about their customers. F

peggyrh
Casting Director

Change happens - old player was based on "Flash" which has been abandoned by the industry in general so the Dish Anywhere software had to be re-written in order to continue to work.  Personally I'm glad as the old way of doing things was incconsistent & often created problems. Just like any other software upgrade (has anyone ever used Windows?) there will be glitches & things we wish were different & we need to let the annoyances get fixed.

For the first time (I've been using DA for years) as long as you have a browser on your device it works - no need for a separate app taking up space.  I deleted the android app on my older phone (has minimal storage) & DA streams in Chrome just as well as it did with the android app - and now that it no longer requires additional add-ons to be installed it finally works on my older Chromebox, giving me another way to access DA on a large screen. 

For me it's a definite improvement - but still needs a few tweaks.