Dish Anywhere has been broken for four months (well, longer than that)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Anywhere has been broken for four months (well, longer than that)

comp-joe
Camera Crew

OK, so about four months ago, the Dish Anywhere Player (the actual video player program) became unusable on my Windows 10 laptop. I was using IE11 to view the Dish Anywhere webpage, which had no problems, but when I chose something to watch (live TV, DVR content, or on-demand), the Dish Anywhere Player would open, fail authentication and close. I could open the DA Player independent of the webpage and it would stay open until I chose to watch something which would result in the DA Player failing authentication and closing. I went through all the normal steps. Uninstalled and reinstalled the DA Player, cleared browser cache/cookies, made sure Windows and IE were fully updated, reset routers and the hopper etc. etc. Also, my laptop is on the same local network as my Hopper 3.

After a month of calls to tech support with no result, I'm finally told it's a known issue and engineering is working on it. So every few days I check, and then call because it's still broke. Another month passes, and lo and behold engineering fixed it, by banning Microsoft's and Apple's desktop browsers and forcing me to switch browsers. I didn't like it, but if it fixed it, OK.

Unfortunately, it was only a 2/3 fix. Using Chrome browser now and the result is that when I choose to watch either live TV or DVR content the Dish Anywhere Player opens correctly and plays the content without issue, but when I choose On-Demand content, the webpage does not open the DA Player, it plays the content with (I'm assuming) Flash Player (or some derivative) right in the webpage, but I only get audio, no video. The standard Flash Player controls are visible i.e. seek bar, pause, volume, fullscreen. However the are no options for quality (SD or HD). I've called multiple times about the new issues. It's right around four months now (if not slightly longer) since I've had a fully fucntional Dish Anywhere.

A work-around for the On-Demand issue would be for me to download the On-Demand content to my Hopper first, except (DUH!) the "Rentals" folder is not visible on Dish Anywhere.

I consider Dish Anywhere to be an integral part of my service. So for me this is no diferent than a broken Hopper or Joey. Before any Smart A**es chime in with "but you are not charged anything for the Dish Anywhere service", yes I am, it's called my Dish bill because I have to pay for Dish and a Hopper (and an internet connection for the Hopper) to use Dish Anywhere.

As an added note, if the fix for this still uses the Dish Anywhere Player, fix the freaking fullscreen mode. When playing content in the Dish Anywhere Player, the "Fullscreen" button only makes the Window borders go away, it does not cause the video to fill the screen. After clicking the "Fullscreen" button I have to then double-click on the video to get it to fill the screen, but doing so makes the video controls inaccessable. I shouldn't have to figure out the "secret handshake" to get fullscreen video on my laptop.

And while your adding the "Rentals" folder to Dish Anywhere, hows about adding access to the external drives attached to my Hopper as well. I've got nearly 5TB of recordings on my drives I would like to be able to access through Dish Anywhere occaisionally.

I really surprised that Dish is not defending themselves against a lawsuit from Apple/Microsoft for not supporting two of the three biggest browsers. Especially when everywhere on Dish's website where "system requirements" for Dish Anywhere include Microsoft Internet Explorer and Edge as well as Apple Safari. (https://www.mydish.com/support/services/tv/mobile-viewing/dish-anywhere/system-requirements)

17 Replies

Re: Dish Anywhere has been broken for four months (well, longer than that)

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
A few points.

You do not pay for Dish Anywhere. You pay for your linear services, Dish Anywhere is a complimentary item.
2) it is not the same as a broken Hopper or Joey. If you look at your bill, both the Hopper and the Joey have a separate fee. DA does not, as it is not a paid for service, it is a complimentary service and not a requirement for the service agreement and contract to be met.

3) Apple and Microsoft would have nothing to sue over.

4) it’s not broken for everyone. The larger majority of customers can still access and use. Known issues with DA will be based on a customers personal equipment, such as laptop, internet connection, etc.

You may disagree with these points, but that is irrelevant, as they are all factual to the service and agreement.
Highlighted

comp-joe
Camera Crew

Thanks Chad, you've been so helpful. I'm surprised Dish hasn't given you a raise yet.

Yes, technically speaking there is not a separate charge for DA on my Dish bill. But your statement is the same as a dealership saying "as a complimentary service you're free to drive anywhere in the country, just as soon as you buy, lease or rent this car". You wouldn't drive the car off the lot if they put bald leaky tires on it and told you "well the tires are not actually a line item on your bill". DA would not be available to me if I were not paying for Dish services and equipment. DA is also used as a sales ploy to sell the Dish services and I didn't see an asterisk stating "DA may or may not function for you but we don't give a crap because we are not officially charging you for it and it works for at least 51% (all that's required for a majority) of our customers".

So, if it's not broken for everyone it's fine.

As I've been told more than once by second tier tech support that these are known issues that engineering is working on, tells me that I'm not the only one with these issues and more than likely there are thousands of others with these problems.

Their first solution (which wasn't actually a solution and which should not have taken two months) was to drop support for IE, Edge and Safari. Browsers which the Dish website still claims to support. And another two months (and counting) to fix their solution to the first problem. To me that indicates either lazy coders or Dish's unwillingness to shell out for any licencing fees Microsoft or Apple may have wanted, or both.

As far as this customers personal equipment such as laptop, internet connection etc., this customer has no problems using this same equipment for Youtube, HULU, Netflix, and Xfinity streaming.

I came to this forum for two reasons: to voice my opinion on the current state of DA as well as to see if anyone else had a possible solution or advice on a work-around. Instead I wait two days for a Dish butt kisser and mouthpiece for their legal department to tell me my problems are irrelavent.

Not to mention it's pretty convenient that some someone would join this forum yesterday for the sole purpose of giving you a kudo for this BS reply. How many of your other Kudos come from phantom forum members I wonder.

Guess I just wasted my time. Thanks for nothing Chad.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
I would encourage you to reread the post.

You make some claims, and they are refuted. Do not get mad because they are refuted.

As for your tires analogy, that actually happens every day. Believe it or not.

comp-joe
Camera Crew

OK Chad whatever you say. Not sure what claims you refuted. I didn't make any claims. I stated my opinions, my observations and all the steps I've taken to solve this issue. As far as the tires go, something unacceptable happenning every day does not make it any less unacceptable. 

Now, if anyone from Dish's tech support department might be reading I think I might have figured out the problem but it would still be up to Dish to implement the solution.

So, after digging around in the script behind the webpage Dish uses to play the On-Demand content, I found that the video player is called Bit-Movin (https://bitmovin.com). From what I've read on the developers website bitmovin uses and enforces DRM for the protected content Dish is trying to play. That used to be OK with all the broswers, but now browsers do not allow protected content to be played on sites that do not use SSL. So, no HTTPS, no DRM protected videos. 

I think Chrome made that change while Dish was recoding the DA site and someone missed that memo. Firefox will be following shortly.

So in my opinion, Dish either needs to convert Dish Anywhere to an encryted site, or go back to playing On-Demand content in the Dish Anywhere Player, if the content providers will allow it.

DISH Employee

Hello, comp-joe. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I know having any technical issues with the DISH Anywhere app is really frustrating. I do just want to let you know, that we have not stopped supporting IE or Microsoft Edge. Currently, there is a conflict with a Windows Security update, and our Engineering Team is working on a newer version of the DISH Anywhere Player to work better with the Microsoft browsers. We are anxiously awaiting a timeline when that will be released. It should be pretty soon. 

Thank you for digging and finding the cause for the second player that is being used for the On Demand content. I do like your idea to just adjust the DISH Anywhere player to be available for that content as well; however, this may be the way it is due to the content owners. I will send this feedback to our Engineer Team directly to see if this is possibility, especially if browsers are phasing it out. 

comp-joe
Camera Crew

Thank you Caleb for your helpful reply.

If anyone needs to speak to me directly for more information on this issue, I can provide you with my contact info.

I eagerly await the solution. 

DISH Employee

You're welcome, comp-joe. We do want to constantly improve our services, including our DISH Anywhere app/DISHAnywhere.com, and any helpful feedback we can gather is highly appreciated! That would be really helpful if we could attach your information to this. To keep it secure, can you send me a private message with your information (phone number and 4-digit-PIN) please? 

comp-joe
Camera Crew

OK, another two weeks and still no functioning Dish Anywhere. In fact, it's now worse. Not only have they not fixed the Dish Anywhere problems with the On Demand material, Now, regardless of what browser I use, Dish Anywhere says my receiver is Offline even though it can see the receivers serial number on Dish Anywhere, which means I can't watch any material now. The receiver is NOT  offline. The diagnostics on the Hopper says it has an Internet connection and I was able to download On Demand material to the Hopper at over 300 Mbps.

Seriously, how long can it take. Are Dish's engineers incompetent, stupid or non-existent? Or is that Dish corporate just plain don't give a crap or are too cheap to pay for the licensing for the players necessary to make Dish Anywhere function properly.

Why does Dish buy up IP that would provide great peripheral services and then break it? They bought up Block-Buster and killed it, then Sling and broke that.

I used to consider Dish the exception to the rule when it came to TV providers. But over the last couple years they have become adept at blending in with the crowds with their constant nickle and diming increases in fees and their failures to address service issues. I used to reccomend Dish to my freinds and family, not because of the Dish bonuses for doing so (which I never claimed), but because I truly thought they'd be better off with Dish. I'm sorry to say that I don't feel I can do that anymore.

DISH Employee

I absolutely understand how frustrating this is to be unable to use one of your favorite features, comp-Joe! I've taken a look at the report in our feedback tool, and I see a workraround is to try rebooting after windows security update. It also is letting me know a new player should be released by the end of the year. We appreciate your patience!