So as of a few days ago, Dish now streams within a regular browser window (Chrome on Windows 10, Safari on Macos) - I have uninstalled the previously required download "Dish Anywhere Player" and it still works fine.
Glad to see the separate Sling Player app go - I always had issues with it. But a few things so far I don't like about the new implementation:
1. No way to just hit "Live TV" and, with one click, go to the last channel viewed on the TV. I have to pull up the guide, scroll down to my channel, select the program, and click "watch".
2. No way to pull out the video in a separate window without the rest of the webpage (except going fullscreen). I always played the video in the Player window, which remembered its size, taking up one corner of my screen. Now I have to open Dish Anywhere in the browser, pull the browser tab into a separate window, resize it (every time) to make it smaller, and then scroll to center the video in it.
3. I can display favorite shows (watch list) on the Dish Anywhere opening page, but not favorite CHANNELS. I can display LIVE CHANNELS, but I don't see a way to select which channels I want to display. I only watch a few channels, and I want to get to them quickly.
4. I have not seen any documentation at all on Dish's web or support sites about the fact that there was a change, let alone how to set it up and use it.
If anyone has info on any of these issues, please let me know!
Still love Dish...!
5) in the on demand area, fix up the filters, the categories do not work super well yet, scifi shows 0 movies, action about 6, and horror shows like everything horror or not, and fantasy is not a choice.
Probably needs some time and tweaking to parse the movie data as the movies themselves do list the genre they are
But i do like the change as now i can actually use it, so polish it up, but keep going