cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Anywhere app problems

WatchingInMN
Character Actor

Hello,

I've been using the Dish Anywhere app since we upgraded to the Hopper last fall.  I found two extremely annoying "features."

1. I've transferred shows to the app so I can watch them while commuting on the train.  There is wifi, but it is not sufficient for streaming.  The app ALWAYS shows that I don't have an internet connection and functionality is limited or that I'm using it on "offline mode."  Isn't that the point?  
  2. The app constantly logs me out, which means I need to log back in, which means I need an internet connection.  The connection on the train isn't sufficient for the app, so if I want to watch anything, I need to connect to my phone's hotspot.  So annoying.

I'm watching on an iPad mini with up to date iOS and the app is also up to date.  When I posted a review, the developer replied "Online streaming features are not available when the device is offline. For offline playback, you would need to transfer the recordings to your device."  He/she completely missed the point of the review.  

Does anyone else experience this?  Any suggestions on resolving these problems?  Thanks!

68 Replies

Re: Dish Anywhere app problems

Chadt4141
Casting Director
There is a requirement to have a slight internet connection, to authorize.
There is already a fix. It is called the HopperGo. It creates its own wireless network that you can connect to, and watch your shows. Not only you, but up to 4 parties total. Yes, you have to purchase it, but it is a great work around for those one off situations.

DISH Employee

Hello, WatchingInMN! A strong Internet connection is needed to view the Dish Anywhere content on your mobile device such as Live TV.  You can also transfer your DVR content while you are at home connected to your home internet. If you would like to view the recordings without an Internet connection, you can download most episodes/movies to your mobile device or tablet. To do this, select the recording and press Transfer. It will then move to your Transfer folder, which you may access by pressing More, then Transfers.

WatchingInMN
Character Actor

Thanks, but that isn’t the issue.  The programs are transferred and should be watchable without an internet connection. And I shouldn’t be continually reminded that I am offline and I don’t have a connection. Once I’ve transferred them, I also shouldn’t need to continually log in to watch them.  I thought the purpose of the app is to allow me to watch without a connection?

WatchingInMN
Character Actor

Hello, I am watching programs I have transferred to the iPad.  I am not trying to watch live TV or programs on my DVR.  The programs are transferred and should be watchable without an internet connection. And I shouldn’t be continually reminded that I am offline and I don’t have a connection. Once I’ve transferred them, I also shouldn’t need to continually log in to watch them. I thought the purpose of the app is to allow me to watch without a connection?  What if I were somewhere without internet, such as a plane or driving outside of cell service?  If I’m forced to log in again in those situations, I’m out of luck?  

Please let me know how I can contact Dish’s developers to get this fixed.  This is not a good user experience. 

DISH Employee

WatchingInMN, internet connection is a requirement for DISH Anywhere. If you are looking for watching your recorded content offline, you might want to look at the Hopper GO which allows you to transfer recordings to the device, and watch those recordings even when offline. 

Chadt4141
Casting Director
As mentioned in the first response, a solution has already been made. It is the HopperGo which creates its own private wireless network for you, so you do not need internet.

WatchingInMN
Character Actor
Please see the page for Dish Anywhere. https://www.mydish.com/dish-anywhere

Note this: Transfer Your DVR Recordings
Enjoy your favorite movies or shows on flights or keep your kids entertained during a long road trip – even when you’re offline! Transfer select DVR recordings from your broadband-connected Hopper with Sling to a tablet device with the DISH Anywhere app installed.

Why do I need to purchase a $100 device, carry an additional device and charge an additional device when this app is supposed to do it all? This is one of the reasons I am a Dish customer.

DISH Employee

DISH Anywhere was designed to be used with an internet connection. We have provided the Hopper Go for when an internet connection would not be an option. We appreciate your feedback regarding this and will be sure to forward this to the correct teams!  If you have any suggestions or feedback in the future, be sure to post them on the Suggestions board

redlite
Costume Designer

I just started having this problem about a week ago. My IPad would always work with Dish Anywhere app without any internet connection. It would just say it was offline but would allow me to watch shows that were transferred onto my IPad. Now I have to have an internet connection to allow my IPad to logon to my account. I have a Hopper Go but my Dish Anywhere app won’t even open without an internet connection. If I connect to the Hopper Go WiFi without first logging into my account on internet, I get a message that says internet not available. 

I think my IPad is logging out of Dish Anywhere for some reason and I don’t know why. This is very frustrating as I use this all the time when flying and there is no internet on the plane.