Dish Anywhere app no longer works on wireless

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Anywhere app no longer works on wireless

davidkram
Character Actor
Sometime between December 2016 and April of 2017, my Dish Anywhere app stopped working when connecting via my wireless network using either my iPad or Android phone.

I can sign in and use the app, but when I try to watch Live TV or a recorded show, I get the error message of "Connection Failed. Unable to connect.�

I can see the list of my DVR recordings and shows, but cannot watch them.

Note – the app DOES work fine on my phone if I use it via the 4gl service – it just does not work when I am connected to my wireless.

Note – the app also works via my PC as my PC is connected via a LAN connection to my router and does not go through the wireless.

So, the issue seems to be related to running the app via the wireless network only.

The app used to work for me via WI-FI. Nothing has changed on my end – the router is the same, the ISP is the same, my Dish hardware has not changed – I have a Vip722 with a sling adapter.
When I open my router, I can see the Vip722 listed and connected just fine.
My router and Wi-Fi were new in July of 2016 (Linksys EA7500). At the time the app was working.

I called Dish customer support back in April and they concluded that this is an issue in the app, but there has been no fix to date.
I enjoy watching my shows via the app – especially over the summer, but I need to be able to use my wi-fi for this and not eat up my data plan.

The apps have been uninstalled, devices re-started and apps reinstalled to no avail.

Any ideas on why this is an issue with the app via the wireless network only?
9 Replies

Re: Dish Anywhere app no longer works on wireless

Community Manager
Community Manager
Did you also attempt to reset your modem and/or router?

davidkram
Character Actor
Yes, reset both.
Powered on modem first, then when active re-started router.
Note - all other apps on mobile devices are working fine via wi-fi.

Router has the latest firmware as well.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Is the Hopper connected via WiFi or Ethernet?

davidkram
Character Actor
It is a sling adapter and it is connected directly to the router (Ethernet).

On my PC (which is also directly connected to my router), the app works fine. So, the app must be recognizing the adapter. In fact, the adapter shows up via my router when I display the devices connected to the router.

Community Manager
Community Manager
The Sling Adapter itself is connected to the router? It needs to be connected to into the Hopper, not the router.

davidkram
Character Actor
I do not have a Hopper - never have.
I have a VIP 722 receiver and a sling adapter.

The sling adapter is plugged into the VIP 722 and the VIP 722 is what is connected via Ethernet to the router.

This setup and equipment works just fine when not going through the wi-fi - so nothing with those connections seems to be an issue.

davidkram
Character Actor
I called the router manufacturer and they suggest that we try port forwarding.
So, can you tell me what I need to enter for the following data I need to set up the port forwarding?

external port
internal port
Device IP# (is this the IP of my VIP722?)

91cb
Extra
The app was working just fine until today, now the connection fails

DISH Employee

Hello, 91cb. I hate to hear that you're having an issue with out DISH Anywhere App. I would be happy to help get it working again. Does it give you this error message when you're trying to watch a live our recorded program or when you're logging in?