Dish Anywhere Not Working at Home

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Anywhere Not Working at Home

dwbenson52
Extra
I have a Hopper with Sling. I cannot connect to it from any of my devices - iPad, Android tablet, or Windows laptop - while I am home. I get the "progress" circle, then a message saying unable to connect and suggesting I verify that both the device and the Hopper are connected to the internet (they are).

If I am away from home, I can connect with no problem.

I am guessing that this is a router firewall problem. If that is the case, what ports have to be open for my devices to be able to receive video from my Hopper.

As an additional question, what route does the communication take when both the Hopper and the device receiving video from it are behind the same firewall? Does it just go up to the router and the immediately down to the device? Of does it go through the router to the ISP and then back through the router to the device?

Thanks!
3 Replies

Re: Dish Anywhere Not Working at Home

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The only actual internet connection while on the same network, is to log into DA. Everything else would be through the home network only.

dwbenson52
Extra
Chadt4141: So since I have to be in the Dish Anywhere app to view content on my device, the video has to be going through my router firewall and out to my ISP (and possibly beyond that to a Dish server), then back from my ISP through my router to my device?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
No. If viewing on the same network, it only goes through the router. The login will just authenticate you, after that will be no internet traffic. Your routers firewall may be blocking it, and I’m not sure which ports would need to be opened.