Dish Anywhere Constant Buffering Problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Anywhere Constant Buffering Problems

I am a brand new Dish subscriber converting from Spectrum cable and DirecTV and am hoping to get some help.  I moved over in order to be able to view all of my channels and DVR content when I travel.  However, I am not able to get the Dish Anywhere app to function properly for this purpose.  I've called DISH technical support and they've been unable to help.

I have a Hopper 3 hooked up to the internet.  When the technician installed the box on Sunday, he downloaded the most recent software.  I am getting great upload speeds of 150 Mbps per the Dish representative who logged into my Hopper 3.  I am able to access the DVR just fine and see my recordings (although as a side note it was showing someone else's recordings when I logged in through a computer last night but it eventually corrected itself to my recordings).  However, when I play a recording, it works for the first 30 seconds to several minutes, but eventually, the picture gets stuck with a circling icon on it.  The app and Samsung S8+ Android phone still works otherwise just fine, but the content never gets past the cycling.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app.    This buffering issue also happens when watching live programming.  However, it does not seem to happen with On Demand content.  I've tried the Dish Anywhere app at work where we have great download speeds and also at another location, but the result with content from my DVR is the same - buffering that causes you to get stuck permanently.  Even if you move back to an earlier part of the program that you previously watched, it will not resume playing no matter how long you wait.  I sometimes get the video quality message.  I also don't have problems with streaming using the Spectrum cable app (although the image quality can vary some).

Any suggestions from the community or DISH on how to fix this?

92 Replies

Re: Dish Anywhere Constant Buffering Problems

Hi Tarheel Traveler.  We do have buffering /freezing on live TV/DVR content listed as a known issue on Android devices.  The last update was supposed to correct this but the issue remained.  We do hope that this can be resolved soon so our customers can enjoy the app!

---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

Thanks so much, MattG.  I'll try to be patient.  DISH may want to emphasize that information with their technical support folks.  Only one suggested that could be the case, and two or three others did not.  

They've also been unable to diagnose my issues on two PCs, both running Windows 10.  Are their known app issues with respect to Windows PCs as well?  On the PCs, it is never able to play video and the error message is either (i) my Hopper is not compatible with the App (even though it's a new Hopper 3) or (ii) it is unable to connect with my DVR (even though the App on my phone can connect with the DVR).  Thanks for your thoughts on the PC App.

What browser are you using?  You would not use the app on the PC, but would install a plug in for the browser.  Try clearing the cache and cookies for the browser or try a different browser

---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

Bobwe
Extra
I finally figured out the buffering problem. I am sure Dish is also aware of this issue. My remedy is to watch it on my Apple iPad and "cast it" to my smart TV through Apple TV. I found an older version 3 Apple TV for 60.00 and problems solved. It does buffer and freezes on ALL android devices including Fire TV. Fire tv stick.
Save yourself some time and buy an Apple TV. I was so frustrated at this issue but "no more buffering" there is also an app called AS which will mirror as well for 20.00 a year.

tpribors
Audio Engineer

I've been having Dish Anywhere buffering problems for months and months.  I thought it was related to my older WiFi router but recently replaced it with a tri-band.  The Android tablet I use (Google Nexus 9) reports great WiFi throughput, but the buffering problem still happens.  I even went direct connect to the Hopper instead of using WiFi so the only WiFi portion ws from the router to the tablet.  Well, maybe this problem will get solved.  

Pbunchuk
Extra

Today is March 20th and the issue your response is to still exists. It’s troubling that Dish is aware of this and issued a fix that doesn’t work. More troubling is that whatever Dish did to cause this buffering/pausing issue has only started is the last few months. I ha.ve been using this app for years trouble free. It’s disappointing that your engineers can’t fix what they broke. 

DISH Employee

Hello! Our Engineering Team currently has a fix scheduled to be released for this issue. The release date is 03/23/18. 

There is a current workaround that may help in the meantime. For Android devices, we will want to make sure to download the 5.9.6 version of the DISH Anywhere app. For Kindle devices, the app version needs to be 5.9.7. For FireTV, the app version should be 2.1.12. 

tpribors
Audio Engineer

Thanks, I will give it a try.  Is part of the fix a Hopper update?   I ask because I've noticed that frequently when the tablet gets into a mode where it buffers frequently (say several times or more in a minute) that eventually the tablet goes offline to reconnect and then can't.  First it finds the hopper and is unable to connect to it, and eventually can't find it all.  When I go to the hopper then I see that one of two things has happened:  1. Yesterday it put up an error screen saying that I had no programming and told me to reboot.  or 2. The current program is watching OK, but the remote takes a LOOOONNNNGGGG time to respond, and when it does it's excruciatingly slow.   Again, having to reboot the hopper. 

tpribors
Audio Engineer

Also, my Nexus is giving up the ghost so I just bought a new Kindle Fire 10.  The version is not available from Amazon yet but I was able to get it from the Play Store.