cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Dish Anywhere Constant Buffering Problems

Dbugman
Camera Crew

No. I'd much prefer you post your employers line of BS so that EVERYONE can read it.

I'm no electronic engineer, only someone who has about 60 years experience working on electronics and the past 40 have been in the HIGHLY specialized field of what is called DEBUGGING (looking for eavesdropping devices). Actually I spent 10 years with a gocvernment agency looking fdor them, installing them and conducting security surveys of highly sensitive facilities. Tje king 99% of the population know little or nothing about. And the last 48 supporting some of the largest companies with sweeping their offices or training theor pown people how to do. Now, If I didn't have all that experience I hav a son who was in electronic test equipment repair in the Air Force for more than 20 years and has his Masters in Computer security. he has said what we are told is BS. It is a problem with DISH and upu don't know how to fix it. But why worry,; we either watch dish or go for another company that may not be around next week.

arizonaswede
Character Actor
Such a perfect response.. this BS has been going on a long time. I have up awhile ago. YouTube TV is awesome..

Jamill4
Extra
No. This is connecting over our data plan with Verizon. It is the only app we have issues with. Also, like I stated before, my hubby is a Truck Driver... which mean he needs access anywhere in the US. We had DirecTV and never had trouble with their app, but switched to Dish and have had the same issue ever since. It is fine if we are at home, but he travels the entire 48 states.

DISH Employee

Hi there, Jamill4. Your device connection is important to stream DISH Anwyhere, you mentioned that it is fine when you are at home, is the buffering issues when your husband is on the road trying to watch services over his mobile data? 

Jamill4
Extra
Yes. I feel like maybe the responses are not being read carefully. I did say that it was over data.

DISH Employee

Depending on the area that your husband is in, the connection speed may vary. We recommend the 4 Mbps for HD programming. When he stops to watch, trying a connection test to see if he has at least that speed will help reduce buffering issues, but even with higher speeds, buffering can happen since it is a continual live channel stream, as opposed to streaming an On-Demand program that has a finite file. 

Mh711
Extra
Agree that all snipe hunt responses by dish so far on this subject are BS. I have 125Mb down and 18Mb up and still have issues. All cat 6 in home. Buffering is still an issue when I’m mobile or at another good WiFi location. YouTube tv, Hulu, fire stick, Roku all work with other stream apps. Going to cut cord and cut my satellite when contact is up. Yes hey will keep you thinking it is your fault till the day you die.

Mh711
Extra
Agree that all snipe hunt responses by dish so far on this subject are BS. I have 125Mb down and 18Mb up and still have issues. All cat 6 in home. Buffering is still an issue when I’m mobile or at another good WiFi location. YouTube tv, Hulu, fire stick, Roku all work with other stream apps. Going to cut cord and cut my satellite when contact is up. Yes they will keep you thinking it is your fault till the day you die.

dwansmith
Extra

I've read quite a few complaints about Dish Anywhere streaming.   What many don't seem to realize is that the stream ORIGINATES from the Hopper.   So check the UPSTREAM speed of the Internet connection at the Hopper location.  If it is less than about 5Mpbs, you will have buffering issues watching 1080p.  Most ISPs also limit upstream traffic for a number of reasons.  One of those is that they don't want customers setting up file sharing web servers at their homes (sometimes called hosting).  The fine print on most ISP contracts says so.   And many ISPs monitor each connection and will throttle your traffic if they suspect you are hosting.  Unfortunately a constant video stream makes it look like you are hosting.  

I've streamed just fine inside my house through a wired connection from my Hopper 3 to a Windows 10 PC with no issues, but my upstream speed is limited to 3Mbps max.  

Over 35 years as a network engineer and being a Cisco certified instructor helps.   

tpribors
Audio Engineer

What you say is true in certain circumstances.

Upstream (Hopper to "the web") is involved when playing a recorded show (or viewing live TV, from the server) when the device you are watching from (the client) is on a different net.  That is, if you're watching from a hotel room.

However, if the client is on the same wifi (or ethernet) network as the Hopper, the network activity is SUPPOSED TO BE on the same network, without the path from hopper->(uplink to dish central)->(downlink from dish central)->client.  It is supposed to be hopper->(wifi router)->client.  If not then this system is fatally designed.   Note that the underlying Hopper implementation is based on the Sling TV technology and it does use just local traffic. 

We have been over this many times.   But one subtle thing you mentioned that I don't think has gotten much thought is that I only have the problem when the client is a Android based unit (tablet or phone, many different ones, all behave badly).  I've noticed that the Windows client (which even calls itself Sling) is much more responsive to everything.  For example, fast forward by skipping 30 seconds is immediate, as fast as it is on the Hopper or on one of the Joeys.  The android spins for 2 or 3 seconds each skip before catching up.  I haven't tried this with any iOS clients (we don't have any).  PS:  The responsiveness of the Windows client on a local subnet does seem to indicate that such traffic never leaves the premises.

The reality of the situation right now is that I'm off site, and remote viewing over the network is more robust than the local network. I do get occasional pauses, but they are just that - the spinner comes up for a few seconds and the program continues.  The problem described here is many seconds of discontinuity (if it ever returns) or complete loss of signal where the client totally reconnects. 

PS got you beat by about 15 years.