Dish Anywhere Constant Buffering Problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dish Anywhere Constant Buffering Problems

tpribors
Audio Engineer

This hasn't gotten any better.  Last night watching from the DVR the whirly-gig was happening every few seconds.  I rebooted the tablet and that didn't help.  After about 15 minutes it did the "reconnecting" thing and got a little better about 5 minutes after that.  Then when I came back inside the Hopper/TV had the display for the TV timeout on it.  Sound was still there but picture had obviously been dropped.  I powered off TV and picture came back.  During this time the Hopper was recording a show.  The recording finished OK. 

...time passes over night...

Turned on the tablet to watch live TV this morning (TV on another streaming source).  Show started and then froze.  Eventually timed out and said Hopper was not connected to the network.  Switched back TV to Hopper and the Hopper is in the middle of a reboot.  There was definitely somthing "hanging over" from the previous.

Please don't ask me for contact info again.  I've given it so many times that you certainly have it and if it is really being passed to Enginnering all they are going to do is roll their eyes and say "him again?".  Yep, me again.   

DISH Employee

Good afternoon, tpribors. We hate to hear that you're still experiencing this issue. We would be more than happy to take a look into the receiver restarting itself. How often does the receiver reboot itself?

Jamill4
Extra
Having this issue on the iPad. Cant watch DVR or live tv, it stops every minute or two to buffer. Uninstalled and reinstalled like tech support said, still an issue. This is frustrating as my hubby uses it for watching while being an over the road driver. Please figure this out.

DISH Employee

Hello Jamill4. I completely understand that having an issue like this with our DISH Anywhere app is frustrating one. To provide the best experience when streaming, there is a network bandwidth requirement of 800 Kbps or better for SD, 4 Mbps or better for HD. This connection quality is important both on the device you're viewing on and your DISH receiver at home. Is your iPad having this issue connected to your Wi-Fi by chance? 

tpribors
Audio Engineer

While it is certainly true that a true "via the internet" delivery can be problematic, that is not the case with most of us that are trying to view programming on a tablet or phone that is connected to the same subnet as the Hopper DVR.  This problem has been going on for at least a year now and every Hopper or app update I'm expecting some kind of miracle fix.  The last time I got an update it has actually made it worse, to the point that a live playback from my Androids is unwatchable.  I've started planning ahead for my evening activity and instead download the programming to the device.  

Then I've found that playback of downloaded material has its own problems.  At some point during the playback the programming starts to exhhibit lots of jitter, like it is trying to frame match a 60 vs 50hz subsystem.  Pressing pause and resuming playback usually fixes it for a brief period of time.    But maybe this is a subject for another topic. 

To get back to the main topic, it sure would be nice if someone from Dish would acknowledge the app issue, and provide a time frame for a fix.

mcgrew77
Character Actor

Any news from Dish on a fix?  I am still having the same buffering issues on the fire stick!  So frustrating!  It should not take Dish years to fix this issue!! 😡😡😡

Highlighted

DISH Employee

Hey mcgrew77! Lets try some steps to get the app running smoothly. Is the app currently buffering? 

tpribors
Audio Engineer

It certainly has gone for long enough, and nothing in any update, either to the app or to the Hopper3 has done anything to make it better.  In fact, I'd say it's gotten worse.   I had another instance of the whole system freezing last week - it starts with the tablet/app getting a "reconnecting", and then if I get to the Hopper in time, right in front of my eyes, the screen/channel it is on locking up and then the long delayed action to any remote or local keypad operations (minutes to move to the first menu from the home button).  I know a runaway CPU when I see one.  

Hopper 3 Wired or wifi.  No difference.  (Tablet of course is wifi).

I believe the root cause is the underlying Sling application.

I've started planning my "remote" sessions by downloading the recording to the tablet.  Live TV is pretty much hopeless. 

It appears that, unlike most of the other streaming apps, the underlying Sling does not buffer ahead to ride throuh momentary network "hiccups". 

Dbugman
Camera Crew

I have had this problem for many, many years and for the longest time Dish went through the troublrshooting routine and said everything seemed to be working OK (with their equipment). I finally read somewhere that Dish's recommendation to fix this problem is to change your internet connect to a system that requires greater download speed. In most instances you can get a good connection only when the rest of the family is sleeping and no one is on the net. Sp, you will just have to grimmace and live with it until DISH figures out how it is going to give it's customers what it has been promising customers is already there.

Dbugman
Camera Crew

None of these works so don't waste your time. Tried all of these things for many, many years and they don't help. It is a problem in that dish can't send the content on your connection. You will just have to spend the big bucks and get the more expensive connection equipment from your internet provider.