The dish anywhere subsystem is broken. It worked this morning and when I just went to take my tablet outside it displayed a badly formed HTML warning and forced me to pair again, and again, and again, and again. I rebooted the Hopper and the tablet. Tried on my phone which hadn't been used for a day or two and it told me my receiver list had changed, forced me to pair again, and again and again. Application on Windows through www.dishanhwyere.com won't log in.
It looks like the hopper suffered an update with software version U540 9/25/2019, 12:02AM
Don't you guys test stuff before you send it out to the world? If you're looking for a new VP of software engineering I might even move back to Denver to get your orgainzation under control.
Also, earlier this afternoon I'd noticed that the DVR program list had stopped sorting. It also took a very long time to log in when the app started up. But it did work. Then just now I started getting the bad HTML stuff and the infinite pairing requests. I even tried logging in with a user/password and that fails too. And yes, I purged cache and deleted all app data. None of those things work.
Got it to work on iPad by pairing with DVR. BUT!!!! Won't work with my HopperGo. When connecting my HopperGo to iPad wifi I get an error message that this HopperGo is on another Dish account. But works fine with my android Galaxy tablet.
Totally unable to get out of the loop. Done the same as everyone else, to no avail. Dishanywhere has had a pesky habit of asking to "activate your device" every two to three weeks. That was annoying but at least it responded when I did so. Now I get "Computer Code" on my screen if it actually responds to my input on the PC or phone. Most times the input on the phone or tablet goes without any response. Frustrated, been liking Dish for over ten years but this is something they need to get on and fix.