Dish Anywhere App incompatible with Mac OS Catalina

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Anywhere App incompatible with Mac OS Catalina

pmconsulting
Character Actor

Mac OS Catalina has been in beta testing for many months and will be a free update starting in September.  DISH, however, only offers a 32 bit app called Dish Anywhere Player for viewing content on a Mac.  That app is no longer supported and the Mac will no longer support any 32 bit programs.  I called tech support and was told a bunch of contradictory stuff including that there is a website that allows viewing content directly in any browser and does not need a separate player app.  I then walked the support person through DISH's own website to show them that the site requires downloading and installing a 32 bit player app.  Then the support person told me that the "new" web viewer was only available to DISH employees.  Then they told me that DISH was under no obligation to keep the player working as this was "just a free service".

Well, your app is clearly from the stone age and shouldn't have been used in the first place since Netflix, Hulu and everyone else with half a brain knows that a browser based system is the only sane choice.  And, as I pay a lot more than "free" for a collection of features that I was sold, I really don't like to see those features fall away like so many channels (HBO, Cinemax, etc.)

Whatever meetings, brisk showers, excercise, etc., you folks need to get back to the simple concept of delivering the basic elements of your contract, I hope those steps are promptly taken so that I might, after the many months I've now waited, be able to watch DISH on a Mac.

9 Replies

Re: Dish Anywhere App incompatible with Mac OS Catalina

pmconsulting
Character Actor

Wow.  I got three emails from DISH asking me to take a survey about "my experience" and not a single peep about this rather important topic.

How can a company like DISH survive while doing everything wrong?  Even this forum is broken.  If I'm looking at one of my own topics and I click the login button, does it take me back to what I was just looking at?  No. It takes me to the hope page where I can begin my search for where I was.

When I log into my account and click on the 'Chat' button, the robo-monster asks me for my name and account number.  I have literally just logged in and I am looking at my name and account number on the very same page as the chat window and DISH still doesn't know the name and account number...

Assuming there is no hope because there is no response, I'm off to explore the currently functioning DirectTV options.

DISH Employee

i am sorry to hear that your experience with one has been a negative one. The auto-bot that you are speaking is used to route your chat to  the proper agent, while I can definitely understand how this can be frustrating, I'd be pleased to address any issue that you may have. May you please provide me with your phone number, and security pin in a private message so that I may access your account?

Highlighted

pmconsulting
Character Actor

Just wow....  There is no indication of who you are.  There is no functaion anywhere on this page for sending or replying with any sort of privacy.  If you actually are a "DISH Employee", you should certainly already have access to my account.

Matching a larger pattern with all things DISH, it makes no sense that you would need me to jump through any of these hoops just so that no one else can see that you don't have a reasonable and responsible answer about why your MAC users are barred from a feature that you willfully promote as available to them throughout your marketing materials.

Without asking me to do any animal tricks, and so that all Apple computer users can read and learn, what should Apple computer users now do to view the content they have so richly paid for on their Apple computers?

pmconsulting
Character Actor

Now I have had multiple discussions, in private for some reason, during which several different "support reps" have advised me to re-install the Flash Player and that I need to experiment with installing the "64bit Flash player".

Stupid, stupid, stupid.  Flash does not make a 64 bit Flash player.  They make a 32 Flash player for 64 bit browsers that Apple no longer supports.  Apple also stated in 2004 that IOS devices have never and will never support any form of Flash.

This inane set of suggestions along with absolutely no meaningful followup for over 5 days proves DISH indifference to any form of problems that its customers have.  Whenever I have tried to discuss the contradiction that showing a Mac computer on the home page of dishanywhere.com as the newest operating system to be released in the next few weeks will not be able to run at all on any macintosh computer, I am directed to "call back during normal business hours" despite all the JD Powers awards claims about the worlds best 24 hour customer service.

DISH stinks.  It is so completely irresponsible to not only have no answer, but to completely ignore a serious and ongoing problem that affects a large chunk of the DISH customer base.  To simply not respond to either this post or to the many replies I have made to all of the various private messages is inexcusable. 

Malacandra
Extra

Most of us who are aware of the sun-setting of 32-bit apps have been updating or purging old applications for months in preparation for the release of Catalina. DishAnywherePlayer is one of the very few that I haven't been able to update. 

It looks like what will happen is that in a few weeks Dish will be inundated by support calls from folks who have updated to Catalina who can no longer open the app… and only then will this issue be addressed. 

Dryguy99
Extra

I just deleted my dish anywhere app prior to upgrading to Mac os Catalina.  It is the only app I use that was still 32 bit.  I cannot believe DISH is not updating this extremely outdated app for modern computers.  (Especially since we have had 64 bit operating systems since the 1990's.  Very disapointed with DISH...  Looking at other options now.

huc
Extra

Adding one more voice to the need for a 64-bit version of the "Dish ALMOST Anywhere" app.

The original post is SPOT ON in terms of the process and requirements for installing the currently obvsolete 32-bit player. I also concur with the expressed frustrations in that post as I've had very similar experiences. The conflict (false advertising) between what they market and deliver is unacceptable.

While it's doubtful anyone at Dish will read these and take meaningful action, adding one more voice to the choir so they realize it really is an issue. 

[EDIT: I tried deleting/uninstalling the DIsh Player. Safari now is streaming data in the browser window without the the DishAnywhere app installed. Will advise is this fails in the future ]

jcanavera
Costume Designer

Dish, any idea when you are going to release a 64 bit version of Dish Anywhere that is compatible with the new Mac OS operating system.  Apple announced well over a year ago that the end of life was coming for 32 bit apps.

Malacandra
Extra

It looks like the DIsh Anywhere App is no longer needed.  

I upgraded to Catalina, and in both Safari and Chrome I can view programs without the app, directly in the browser.