Copying recordings back from an EHD - Not seen by Anywhere

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying recordings back from an EHD - Not seen by Anywhere

Mid90sDishCustomer
Camera Crew
I had a TV series where season 1 was moved to my external hard drive, but a few episodes of season 2 were accumulating on the Dish DVR.

Wanting to take season 1 with me for an upcoming vacation, I copied season 1 back from the EHD to the DVR and then launched the Dish Anywhere app on my iPad. Dish Anywhere did not list these copied episodes in the DVR tab. Only season 2 appeared in the Dish Anywhere DVR tab for that series. Thus I was unable to transfer them down to the iPad.

After trying different tactics I did discover that if I used the Dish DVR to watch a few seconds of each episode first, the episodes then were seen by the Dish Anywhere app.

Has anyone else experienced this or has this issue been reported?
7 Replies

Re: Copying recordings back from an EHD - Not seen by Anywhe

DISH Employee
There have been instances when using two different EHD's will affect the viewing of the events/shows transfering to the 2nd EHD. I have not heard or seen this happening when placing back to the HD DVR. What I would like to do is get this reported for you. Can you tell me if you seen any type of error message come on the screen when this happens? Do you see the cover art go back on the DVR after tyransfering it back from the EHD? What happens if you reset the DVR, will it show then?

redlite
Costume Designer
I also have experienced this and discovered that playing a few seconds of the show will get your tablet to recognize the show. Or you could wait until the next day after your Hopper does a reboot or do a manual reboot after restoring the shows to your DVR.Then the shows will show up.

Mid90sDishCustomer
Camera Crew
Mike H. wrote:
Can you tell me if you seen any type of error message come on the screen when this happens?

There are no errors inside of Dish Anywhere. It is simply that the records that were copied back to the DVR from the EHD are not appearing in the DVR tab. Thus, I am unable to interact with them.

Mike H. wrote:
Do you see the cover art go back on the DVR after tyransfering it back from the EHD?

On the Hopper 3 the recordings just copied back from the EHD do list in the DVR and are able to be played back normally.

Mike H. wrote:
What happens if you reset the DVR, will it show then?

I haven't tried this but perhaps tonight I will do so and report back.

DISH Employee
Please let me know what happen when you tried what you were going to try please.

Mid90sDishCustomer
Camera Crew
Mike H. wrote:
Please let me know what happen when you tried what you were going to try please.

I ran this test twice on two different sets of shows and unfortunately received two results.

The first set of episodes of a particular series I had copied back from the EHD. Was unable to see these shows in the Dish Anywhere DVR list. I reset the DVR and restarted the Dish Anywhere app. The shows then appeared and I could interact with them.

The second set was the opposite. After copying and confirming they were not available, I reset the DVR and restarted the app - in this case the episodes (of a different series) were not there. I attempted another reset but they still didn't appear. Playing a few seconds of each one made them appear.

DISH Employee
So it seems it can be an issue with the type of show or series and possibly copy rights could be causing this issue? Did you happen to try a bigger range of programs to see if this is the norm with these types of recordings?

Mid90sDishCustomer
Camera Crew
Mike H. wrote:
So it seems it can be an issue with the type of show or series and possibly copy rights could be causing this issue? Did you happen to try a bigger range of programs to see if this is the norm with these types of recordings?

With respect I can't imagine that this is a copyright issue. Especially given the fact that simply by copying the episodes back from the EHD and then watching a few seconds of the episode it suddenly became eligible to be copied to the Dish Hopper GO.