cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Upgrading frpm VIP722K to Hopper Duo

sooznd
Character Actor

My VIP 722K has been losing signal the past two weeks. Dish suggested I upgrade to a Hopper Duo since I really watch only one TV and the other one is mainly for netflix.

Will I lose any functonality by switching to the Hopper Duo? 

I have a sling adapter now on the old reciver ao I can access Dish Anywhere on my iPad. Was told the sling is already included with the Hopper Duo. It seem both have the same storage for recording.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Upgrading frpm VIP722K to Hopper Duo

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
I don’t think the sling adapter would provide anything, as the Duo, to my best understanding, is unable to sling. So you’d lose access to viewing your DVR online.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
I don’t think the Duo isSlingLoaded. If it is, it would be news to me, but can be checked on the website easily. The website doesn’t mention Sling in any of it. I also don’t think a SlingAdapter will work. Get the H3, it is worth the extra $5/month.

sooznd
Character Actor

Thanks for your reply. I didn't see that it included sling either- but it does have wifi/internet cpapability so my concern is having access to Dish Anywhere via my iPad if I am traveling or  in another room.  I really only watch one tv. The oter in the guest room is for netflix and other streaming via the Blue Ray.

What exaclty does a sling adapter provide that I would be missing if the Duo does not have one?

thanks again

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
I don’t think the sling adapter would provide anything, as the Duo, to my best understanding, is unable to sling. So you’d lose access to viewing your DVR online.

View solution in original post

sooznd
Character Actor

Thank you.

Dish has now confirmed the Hopper Duo has no internal sling nor can I attach my existing sling adapter to it. I will lose the ability to watch my recorded programs remotely whihc is the only thing I use Dish Anywhere for.

I have cancelled my order for the Hopper Duo and will keep my VIP722K since it seems my signal issues were weather related not due to the older receiver.

I am very disappointed with Dish Network after having been misinformed by at least 3 of their customer support people.
I have been with Dish over 15 years and have always recommended it to people over the competition. 

The last rep recommedned the Hopper with Sling at an additional cost of $8 per month plus installation of $50.

I do not see how any of these products are better than what I already have other than being able to record more.

I suppose when and if  my VIP 722 fails I will move to a Hopper or cancel service  and rely on livestream services.

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
I would strongly encourage a Hopper 3, but for your situation a Hopper with Sling would be accesptable as well. It has 3 tuners, so you can record more options, in addition to apps like Netflix and YouTube. The H3 is just much faster and can do 4K.

sooznd
Character Actor

Thanks for the information. I am not sure what 4k will do since I have an older HDTV from 2009. I already have Roku and access to many livestream options such as Netflix, You tube & Amazon Prime.

Right now it make sense budgetwise who with the VIP722K since offers everything I need.

Does it have the option to record while skipping commercials as that is the feature I would really like.

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
Yes, that is Primetime Anytime and Autohop.