cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Searching on the Hopper

OldManOBIE
Camera Crew

I just replaced my VIP 722 receiver with the Hopper with Sling. I say "replaced" because it is not an "upgrade". I have several complaints, but this discussion will focus on the search abilities.

• Most important, there is no search button on the remote. Can't even configure one on the user-defined buttons.
  • When I navigate through several steps to search, there is no search history to select from.
  • On the older (and better) receiver, when you pushed the search button, it would auto-fill whatever was on the guide, and then you could edit it.
  • The voice search is a really nice addition, but should not be a replacement. If you are watching TV in bed with a headphone, and your partner is asleep, you don't want to wake her by speaking out-loud.

I found an old remote and decided to try the search button on it. The search screen appeared, but it must have send some other commands, because the Hopper re-booted.

Tags (3)
5 Replies

Re: Searching on the Hopper

Roadijeff
Visual Engineer

Since the tag says you have the 54.0 remote, press the Home button (top of remote, middle button) twice and select Search on the screen.

OldManOBIE
Camera Crew
I'm sorry but that's not a solution. It takes 8 button presses to get to the search icon. Home button twice, down twice, 3 to the right, then the search icon. I have had to switch to my iPad using Dish Anywhere. What a shame.

Chadt4141
Production Manager
Press the voice search button and let go. Then press the options button. It searches. It won’t auto fill from the guide because it is searching from not just Dish, but also from netflix.

Roadijeff
Visual Engineer

@OldManOBIE wrote:
I'm sorry but that's not a solution. It takes 8 button presses to get to the search icon. Home button twice, down twice, 3 to the right, then the search icon. I have had to switch to my iPad using Dish Anywhere. What a shame.

Press and release the microphone button and then press Options.  Two button presses.

Also, it only took me 6 button presses to bring up the search window the previous way I described.  Smiley Wink

OldManOBIE
Camera Crew

Thanks for the reply. I guess that will have to do. I sure do miss the VIP 722. So much better at searching. Now that I’m using the dish anywhere app on my iPad to control the receiver, I feel much better. I feel more in control and the guide is much easier to read.