Record show from the beginning with Hopper 3 - Buffer while TV is off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record show from the beginning with Hopper 3 - Buffer while TV is off.

mjrv
Extra

One reason I was sad to see my Tivo go was this use case, which, for some reason Hopper 3 isn't supporting (I assumed it would with the 16 tuners and all)...

We turn on the TV.  We see that a movie we like from TCM is playing in the little window.  We want record it from the beginning.  (Or simply rewind it to the beginning, even if that was before we turned on the TV.)

Note: at least one of the 16 tuners on the Hopper 3 IS "tuned" to TCM (it's mostly all we watch, so we rarely "change the channel"). 

However, it always and only records from the point at which we pressed Record.  If we fumble through numerous button pushes, we sometimes find an option "Watch from Beginning", but that only takes us back a few minutes to the point at which we turned on the TV.

So: Tivo was great because it "anticipated" this use case by buffering back a few hours all the time, even when the TV is turned off.  (It also recorded stuff "on spec" in the background.) 

For some reason Hopper 3 doesn't appear to be buffering unless you have the TV on and are actively watching the channel.

This is disappointing because we are "notional" watchers.  We turn on the TV and say to ourselves "hey, what's that playing in the little window, let's watch/record that!"  This is a recipe for frustration with Hopper 3 because, on average, 109 out of 110 times we won't happen to be seeing the first minute of the movie.

We miss our Tivo.

(Or maybe we're missing some trick?  If so PLEASE advise!)

1 Reply

Re: Record show from the beginning with Hopper 3 - Buffer while TV is off.

Chadt4141
Casting Director
The buffer will only be from the point the channel was tuned. The tv can be off, but the receiver must be on and tuned to that channel.