Lost recordings when Hopper replaced

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost recordings when Hopper replaced

mckinneywill
Extra

Lost all my recordings when Hopper was replaced.  Dish needs to implement some way to save/transfer the recordings from the old Hopper to the new one.  It's not the same (at least in my case) as a hard drive crash.  The data (recordings) was/is still on the old Hopper.

4 Replies

Re: Lost recordings when Hopper replaced

peggyrh
Associate Producer

There's been a way for years, I've replaced and upgraded through several older receivers and Hopper versions.  As long as you can acess the recordings (hard drive is still working) you just move the recordings to an external hard drive - I still have two with movies from several years ago that are still viewable from the external hard drive (or I can transfer back to my Hopper).  The Hopper 3 also lets you transfer recordings to another Hopper 3 by simply using a cable, it's a little slow but it works.  

mckinneywill
Extra

Actually I was suggesting that Dish might provide this functionality.  When we called for service, we thought the problem was with the Joeys.  When the tech came, he told us that Dish had discovered that the problem that we were having with the Joey connected TVs was really a problem with the Hopper.  So, the Hopper had to be replaced. But, we were unprepared to make any transfers and would have had to postpone service until we could obtain a storage unit.

My thought was that Dish might take the old Hopper back and copy my recordings and transmit them back to me.  Just a thought.

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
They won’t do that for multiple reasons, but as Peggy pointed out, you can do an Ethernet transfer Hopper to hopper. The tech should leave the old Hopper so that you can transfer and you send it back via UPS within a few days.

thompssb
Character Actor

Unfortunately the techs wont suggest it .  I made arrangements with Dish to send out a new box and label so I can send the old hopper back to them when finished.  You do need an ethernet cable to connect both new and old hopper together.  In the settings is where you start the transfer.  DIsh should be able to walk you through the steps..The transfer of my recordings took 2 days to complete but was very easy to do...