Home Media Player Controls are wrong!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Media Player Controls are wrong!

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer

Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE change the function of the Jump Forward and Jump Backwards buttons while using the Home Media play function? The current assignemnt of these buttons is to skip FORWARD to the next video, or BACKWARD to the previous version, and that is VERY annoying. 

The function of these same two buttons when using the remote to view Dish programming is BACK 10 seconds, or forward 30 seconds. These are two VERY DIFFERENT functions on the same button on the same remote while watching video. That is confusing and often very time consuming to correct. 

The problem is, EVERYONE in my house often forgets that they are watching a home video, and will hit the jump back button to see the previous 30 seconds as they expect to happen. Except, what you get is the previous video. This is even more annoying because your fast forward and rewind functions are SO bad and often fail. That means if I am 45 minutes into a video, and I forget that I am watching Home Video, and press Jump Back by habbit, I get the previous video. Then, I have to jump forward to the video I was watching and then fast forward to the place I was before, a very time consuming process, which often fails, meaning I have to try again and again to get back to the place I was before. 

I would like to see these buttons do the same thing they do while watching Dish content. But if that is not possible, I would much rather see them do nothing over what they do now. The current function is incredibly annoying, and can be easily achieved by pressing STOP and selecting the next or previous video. But there is no function to continue playing a home video from where it was last if you hit one of these buttons. 

So please reconsider assigning these buttons to the same functions they have for Dish content, or removing their function all together.  With all the bugs still in viewing home videos, this one should be easy to fix.  Right now, these errors push me to my Roku unit, and that is just one more reason to give up Dish all together. 

Thank you

3 Replies

Re: Home Media Player Controls are wrong!

harsh
Extra

There's nothing wrong with the controls.  Next and Previous are valid DLNA commands while jump back and skip forward are not.

Replacing the DLNA functions with simulated jump and skip functions would surely cause as many or more complaints.

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer

You are entitled to your opinion. I have three other boxes that have EXACTLY that function, and I see no complaints on their forums about how the controls work. 

But to your point, if they are "out of spec" then assigning NOTHING to the buttons would be better. Regardless of the DLNA spec, if your interface makes using it difficult, then there is a problem with the interface.  Since the buttons have difference fucntions the rest of the time, and change only for this use, then the UI is bad because pressing the button you expect to jump forward or backward (the UI has trianed the user that this is what the button does) throws one out of the current video. Getting back to where you were is problematic already (bugs with fast foward and rewind droppping out of the video) if you press one of these. 

So OK, not DLNA compliant, but bad interface. So I will request that the buttons simply be disabled (or at least offer me the option to disable them) so that I don't spend so much time trying to get back to the point I was thrown out of the current video. 

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer

Just had to check again, and the DLNA spec does include functions for time based seek, which explains how several other boxes have done jump back and jump forward (I implemented it on my mobile app as well) so the API is available to implement the function.   I can't find anything in the spec that says Jump Forward and Jump Back are incorrect. 

Can you please give me a reference? I am willing to stand corrected on the issue. But still feel the UI would be more friendly if the buttons were disabled or did the functon they do for all other uses. 

cheers