cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Google Assistant

Ccdad05
Character Actor
For those of us like me who have a limited use internet at home who would like to use the internet on the Hopper for only 2 uses: 1. Send request to record on home DVR from remote and 2. Plain voice search.
I don't want to use the receiver to do anything with smart devices (which I don't have). If I'm going to do a search on the Hopper, it needs to be for only those things specific to the Hopper. Like the SpongeBob voice remote commercial, doing guide/channel searches. Maybe for something like "What is the temperature outside??". Since the Hopper has a built in Weather Channel app. Anything else, I'd use my phone to look up YouTube videos, other internet searches. If I had something like the actual Google assistant or Amazon Alexa, I'd use it only for those smart devices (if I had them). Like Google, turn off the living room lights. Etc...
1 Reply

Google Assitant beware

kirkelli
Costume Designer

Google Assistant is an evasion of your privacy..Don't let Dish tell you otherwise, as they will try!    Google Assistant collects data; i.e. channels you watch, your location, length of time you spend watching programing etc and any browswing or shopping you do via your internet connecton to Hopper.   Users will be targeted with garpage adds and Google will use yoiur data info to their best interest..   I am very upset that dish took a search funtion away that was part of my service which i was paying for, and they have no plans to reimburse my monthhly for this loss..  As soon as my contract expries with Dish, I will be shoping  for another TV source provider..    Many local TV companies are now overing their version of Voice Search without evasion of privacy isues..   Dish is making lots of $$ with this change via their partnership with Google, as Google pays highly for the data they are extracting from most 'unware' Dish Viewers..   All i have to say,,  be carefull Dish Viewsers.. I would not activafte this search function... The minute you accept the Google Terms of servcice, you bit onto their hook..    Just Don't do it!  And voice your concern to Dish... Remimber, DO NO LET DISH TELL YOU YOUR DATA IS PRIVATE..  Read Google Terms of servie and you will learn otherwise