Backup of Shows

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of Shows

danhi
Extra

I have recently had the hard drive in my Hopper fail, which meant that all the recorded shows (and there were a lot) got lost.  One thing I have asked for many times (this isn't the first time that I had a hard drive in the DVR fail) was the ability to BACKUP (not move) a show from the Hopper to an external hard drive.  The current ability to move a show to an external hard drive is only useful in adding for disk space, it moves the single point of failure from the Hopper to the external hard drive.  It would be trivial to add to the move feature a backup feature.  Please, please, please add this before my next hard drive failure (not a question of it, only of when).

3 Replies

Re: Backup of Shows

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
Massive DRM violations with that. You can get a RAID hard drive, and have it backed up, unofficially.

danhi
Extra

Not sure why it would be a DRM violation if it's tied to the receiver's smart card, so you could only play it back on that system.

Do you know that a RAID system would be compatible with the Hopper's external hard drive interface?

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
It’s not supported, however there are a number of other people at the other satellite forum that have that setup. Unfortunately I am unable to post a link against forum TOS...