Automatically re-record a program if Signal Loss occurred during recording

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically re-record a program if Signal Loss occurred during recording

Walt
Character Actor

During bad weather the message "complete or partial satellite signal loss (error 015, 002)" will be displayed.  If a show is being recorded on the DVR when that happens, it would be very nice if the next time that episode was broadcast it was automatically recorded.  This would behave identically as if a person had selected "Record next airing" from the schedule (i.e., the Priority rules in case of Schedule Conflict would apply).

The reason this is a good idea: "Fear of satellite signal loss" is one of the strongest arguments that cable companies use to keep people tied to cable.  Implementing this idea would blunt the argument for everything except single-broadcast events.

It's become quite common for first-run shows to broadcast the episode 2-3 times, usually in quick succession.  E.g., a show will be broadcast at 9 PM, repeated at midnight and maybe again at 5 AM.  If a severe weather event occurs during the 9 PM broadcast and the satellite signal gets dropped and I was recording the show, it's unlikely that I'd be aware of the signal loss until the next night when I was ready to watch the show.  By then I've probably missed at least 2 opportunities to re-record it.  If it had been done automatically, I'd not be cursing Dish and re-thinking my switch from cable.

As far as I can tell, there are no technical restrictions on implementing this idea.  Dish is already aware of the schedule of re-airings and it already knows that signal loss/degradation occurred and it already has a prioritization scheme in place to decide which program wins in the event of a recording conflict.  Worst case scenario is that it attempts to re-record the future airing but it can't because there's no tuner available.

Thanks for considering this.

2 Replies

Re: Automatically re-record a program if Signal Loss occurred during recording

MichaelK
Character Actor

Some years ago, I mentioned that it would be nice if the user would get notified (email / SMS) that there was a problem with a recording. Certainly, if the scheduler can find the same show, it should record it.

Re: Automatically re-record a program if Signal Loss occurred during recording

BatGirl
Extra
I've noticed that when my VIP211 is recording an 'over-the-air' (OTA) program at the same time it is recording a satellite program, and the OTA signal is weak causing the infamous error message to pop-up, that it will stop then restart the satellite recording so you have 'pieces' of it (but you do get it all, just not in a single recording). Occurs mainly when the OTA signal drops out for over a minute or two... shorter OTAdrop outs seem not to affect the satellite recording.