cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

15X fast forward is too fast

DaveHach
Character Actor

Last night I was trying to FF through the boring parts of the World Series, and discovered that the minimum FF speed is now 15X!  We need a slower speed than that to see when men get on base, so we can switch into regular speed when the action gets interesting.

I see that this problem has been raised several times in the past 18 months or so, ever since an update removed the slower speeds.  The consensus seems to be that DISH will not restore this function.

Well, despite the pessimism, I'm raising the issue again.  DISH - This needs to get fixed!

11 Replies

Re: 15X fast forward is too fast

DISH Employee

Hey, DaveHach! We're always working on ways to improve our systems and services for our members, and do appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us with your feedback about the Fast Forward speeds. I made sure to get this forwarded to our Engineering department. We hope you have a great rest of your day! 

Almain
Character Actor

I want to report that my new system, a Hopper 3 and 2 joey 3's and the standard remote is at 15X and 60X and is way too fast. I am a brand new customer who just had this system set up in my home yesterday, after being a Directv customer for over 15 years.  The tech nor the salesperson neither one mentioned this when I ordered the system or it could have been a deal breaker.  I am 1 full day into the system and am disturbingly dispointed in the FF and Rewind speeds to advance on the DVR. My reflexes are too slow and I am as someone said, "playing ping pong" trying to get to the end of the commercials to watch the program. Please advise me of a fix for this. I've seen posts on this condition since early in 2017. Tech's should have a fix for this by now. At this point, I can not recommend Dish to anyone with this being the way it is. I know I'm only one person, but my opinion isn't very good right now. Please put me on the list of dissatisfied customers for now and will continue to be this way till this is fixed.

Thank you.

If requested, I will email or pm my account and 4 digit code to someone to check on my behalf.

DaveHach
Character Actor

Almain, the best way to get through commercials is to use SKIP, not Fast Forward.  On my system, each press of Skip takes you forward 30 seconds, so you can give it four quick presses to take you forward two minutes.  If you go too far, you can press reverse skip to go back 10 seconds per press.

When I complained about the World Series, I was actually trying to watch the play action in FF to see when things got interesting.  In your case, you are trying to bypass the commercials without seeing them, so skip is more appropriate.

Almain
Character Actor

Dave, thanks for the tip on using the "skip" button and not the "FF" button on the remote. Being a new customer for about 36 hours when I wrote the issue, I hadn't been directed to that button by anyone who knew it existed. I will certainly give that button a try this evening when I use my DVR and I certainly appreciate your advise on which button to use. Have a great day sir.

gbguy
Extra

I agree that 15X is WAY, WAY too fast.  The SKIP function doesn't cut it either.  It is ridiculous to have to overshoot the commercial and then back up  (say you are watching "Chopped" and the round's loser is announced right after the commercial - you have already Skipped past the reveal).

Also, other systems (e.g., TiVo and DirecTV) allow for slow user reaction time and will back up a few seconds once you press Play.  With Dish playback immediately starts from the spot when Play is pressed which, unless you have super powers, is past the beginning of your desired content.

Frankly Dish's Fast Forward function is an incredibly poor design.

bbfortworth
Extra

Is there any chance the slower speed is in the works.  I just switched to Dish last week and am really regretting it.  The x15 speed is way too fast, I am well into the show before I realize it then I have to mess around with rewinding.  The whole point of me having the DVR is to be able to fast foward through commercials but it's such a hassle now that I catch myself setting through them.  If I'm going to do that I don't need Dish.

CSD
Extra
I agree...the fast forwad is extremly fast....very frustrating! I had a stroke 6mths ago....I'm sure there are others out there....this fast forward is so frustrating and makes no sense. Honesting it appears it has been going on for a long time now with no fix....why is nobody listening to our needs on this? Who/how was the decision to make it 15x faster from slow....do you think it is funny....are older people included in your caring about what we are telling you....why was put to 15x like that? Really confusing to someone for me and my stroke was confusing enough and now I'm paying for more confusion??? I thought dish would be better then directv....I've only been on dish for a few weeks.

agarroyo
Character Actor

I have been complaining about this problem to DISH for the past 2+ years and gotten the same BS answer that Jessica gave to DaveHach.  I'm fed up and going to have to go to Direct, even though I don't like them as well.  The whole 15x FF and back cannot be lived with!!!!!

MJWisconsin
Extra
I just joined Dish, from DTV, and as much as I love the change the ffwd issue is fairly frustrating. My issue is with the speed, which I believe is perfect, but rather that it doesn't rewind 5-10 seconds when I hit play. If you hit play when you see the show restart you already went too far. DTV does this beautifully with their ffwd. Would love to see this in the very near future. Thank you!