Wireless adapter for Wally

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless adapter for Wally

jbsfield
Extra

Anyone know what non-DISH wireless adapter works with a Wally receiver?  I recently got two new Wallys installed in my house.  The installer said he didn't have any wireless adapters and he would have them sent to me.  That was about 3 weeks ago and I still don't have the wireless adapters.  So I'm thinking I'll have to buy my own.  But there's no way I'm paying the $50 DISH wants for them.  There must be a third party adapter that works and is cheaper.  I've read the DISH adapters are just a re-branded Netgear but I don't know what model.  Anyone using a Netgear wifi adapter that works and if so what model is it?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wireless adapter for Wally

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Netgear WNDA 3100v2

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Netgear WNDA 3100v2

View solution in original post

DISH Employee

While in the past Chad's answer was correct, and I will not say it "won't work", we no longer specifically develop software to support wifi adapters other than the Dish branded model.  That said, any usb 2.0/3.0 compliant adapter "should" work.

I believe we did discuss this issue in PM's previously, if you would like to PM me again about this concern I will be happy to discuss it further.

jburd
Camera Crew

For the life of me, I struggle to understand why Dish drags its feet when it comes to these kinds of issues.  As best I can tell, the device developed by Pace and 'supported' by Dish is an 802.11n product.  That technology has been outdated for about 5 years.  Conversely, there are several different products available in the tech world that support the more robust and faster 802.11ac standards that began being implemented in January of 2014 or so.  Get off your tail and put some of your software developers in charge of supporting other devices; optionally, do some research on a handful of available devices and list those that are compatible on your website.  My goodness; this stuff is not rocket science.  If my table lamps can be turned off and on using 5 GHz, why can't the Wally in my camper operate on 5 GHz?  Shameful and simply lazy.  Oh wait, maybe it's all about selling product, not being helpful to your customers.  

jbellona
Extra

You guys are so very correct Dish Network makes money. They don't care about customer service, nor loyal customers all they see is dollar signs. The cable cutters may change this I am one of those, yet for an RV I am forced to bow to the crappy customer service of Dish Network.

Georgesusi
Extra

Another way around the USB adapter is a wifi range extender. I just installed a Linksys AC750 BOOST wifi range extender. It connects through the eithernet port.  $45.00 at Walmart. Very easy to setup on the RV park wifi network. Watched several on demand movies and looked through the optional apps that are only available with internet. 

Dstrahm
Extra

Thanks @Georgesusi I just happened to have an extender in the networking spare parts pile.  Will give it a try!

Jim2
Extra

Same here had a Netgear wireless extender that I was not using, I plugged in the AC and the ethernet cable to my wally and voila everything connected up and i was able to view a Dish on demand movie. I was durprised eveything connected without me having to anything except plug it in!!  Yippee!!

Thanks for your tip, KUDOS to you!