Winter is coming - HBO dispute must end!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter is coming - HBO dispute must end!

dmuir1962
Character Actor

I am dissatisfied with everything and all things Dish Network right now. I have been since the HBO dispute began and I will continue to be for as long as the dispute wages on.  I intend to cancel my Dish subscription—and I have been a loyal Dish customer for more than 9 years—if the dispute is not resolved by 04/14/19.  I am one of millions of Dish subscribers who lives in a rural area with little or no reliable internet service where streaming HBO NOW is simply not an option (and I find it both insulting and condescending that Dish continues to promote HBO NOW as a viable option for those of us who wish to watch Game of Thrones).  Indeed, my options for television service are and have been limited to Dish Network, Direct TV and the god-awful USA Communication network, for the last nine plus years.  Ultimately, rural customers, like myself, continue to be the pawns in the Dish Network/HBO Game of Chess…  I do not want to watch a game of Chess… I want to watch Game of Thrones.  Dish Network has now lost close to a half-million customers since the dispute with HBO began.  HBO has lost three million subscribers through Dish (although I imagine they have gained a half-million through Direct TV or HBO Now).  What bothers me most is that Dish Network acts as if it is the “hero” in this story, with their “Our Promise.”  For those of us in rural America, we recognize Dish Network for what it is… the villain.  Yes, HBO is a villain too, which is why I will no longer be a loyal Dish Network subscriber, nor will I ever subscribe to HBO again if this isn't resolved by Sunday.  Winter is coming.  My patience ends when it arrives

5 Replies

Re: Winter is coming - HBO dispute must end!

Bchan
Costume Designer
So, you are going to leave dish for not getting hbo so you can not subscribe to hbo?

I understand this dispute is terrible for those in rural areas that can't get any decent internet, but saying it is insulting and condescending for them to try to give you a solution is a bit self centered. Sure, it is not a viable option for you, but it is for the millions of other people who want HBO and can get it.

The solution isn't as simple as just "get it back". ATT owns HBO now, and from what I understand, are asking for rates that are essentially asking dish to charge every customer for HBO, whether the customer wants it or not. So if it comes down to losing half a million for losing HBO or losing all except half a million for agreeing to ridiculous rates... They just won't get HBO.

I'm not saying dish doesn't care about you, but you are the minority here. They need to consider the majority of their customers.

dmuir1962
Character Actor
That is correct. I will leave Dish and HBO. I can’t get HBO without getting DirectTV and as you said, AT&T owns DirectTV (and they are ridiculously overpriced). Two wrongs don’t make a right. I’m angry at being a pawn. You may very well be correct in saying [I’m] “in the minority here.”... We all know how well minority’s are treated in this country. Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, it doesn’t solve my particular problem. I imagine I’ll be reading a lot of books in the near future.

tommyy2
Cinematographer

ATT started this war (not a price increase but a war) to get Dish customers to bail on Dish.

It appears they've succeeded as far as you are concerned.

Perhaps you will get to see first hand how ATT treats it's customers (not well at all from what I've seen) but it will allow you to see your precious HBO, Game Of Thrones.  Can't help but wonder if it will be worth it.

Good luck where ever you go.

dmuir1962
Character Actor
I will leave both Dish and HBO. I can’t get HBO without getting DirectTV and as you said, AT&T owns DirectTV (and they are ridiculously overpriced). Two wrongs don’t make a right. I’m angry at being a pawn.. Thank you for the response. I gave Dish 5 1/2 months to resolve the issue, which I think was fair. I imagine I’ll be reading a lot of books in the near future because I’ll be down to Netflix DVD’s (yes, I still have DVD’s delivered because I can’t stream) books and Sirius radio. A new adventure... learning to live without Television. Might be the best thing I’ve ever done!

tommyy2
Cinematographer

@dmuir1962 wrote:
I will leave both Dish and HBO. I can’t get HBO without getting DirectTV and as you said, AT&T owns DirectTV (and they are ridiculously overpriced). Two wrongs don’t make a right. I’m angry at being a pawn.. Thank you for the response. I gave Dish 5 1/2 months to resolve the issue, which I think was fair. I imagine I’ll be reading a lot of books in the near future because I’ll be down to Netflix DVD’s (yes, I still have DVD’s delivered because I can’t stream) books and Sirius radio. A new adventure... learning to live without Television. Might be the best thing I’ve ever done!

Two wrongs don't make a right but three do!

Tags (1)