cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Which Hopper? Mirroring? Remotes?

GrannyBarbHutson
Camera Crew

Still on the fence trying to decide to upgrade from my ViP722K to a Hopper and which Hopper would I choose.

I have eleven TVs in our home, yes eleven. The set up now in the house is two coaxes coming in from the dish to the ViP722K, a HDMI cable from the ViP722K that feeds the living room TV and at the same time a coax cable from the ViP722K goes into a whole house splitter that branches out to the remaining ten TVs where all the ten TVs can what either what is on TV1 or TV2. This works fine for the three of us because majority of the TVs are living room, master bedroom, another bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, laundry room where going from one room to the other, mirroring works. Mirroring works on the remaining TVs to watch TV2 shows because those TVs are in extra bedrooms, in the loft (areas for grandkids when they visit), basement, and outside. This setup works except for those rare occasions that there are two programs being recorded and we are watching something that was recorded previously and there is a ball game or something else on that someone wants to watch live.

This brings me to the Hopper and Joey choice and am leaning to the Hopper 3 because of the number of shows it will record at one time and I can't afford ten Joeys. Plus I don't need a Joey for each TV. I am fine with mirroring.

If I have the Hopper and one Joey, is it possible to mirror the Joey to other TVs like I’m doing now on our ViP722K? I've read somewhere that with a RF Modulator I can use the same setup by running the coax from the Hopper to the modulator and then to the Joey and finally to the splitter for the other TVs.

Are the Hopper and Joey remotes IR or UHF? Will my 21.1 IR/UHF remotes work? I only need basic off/on, guide, DVR buttons for most of the extra TVs. Would be awesome with the number of TVs I have to be able to use the current remotes.

I currently have a external hard drive that I have connected to my ViP722K and would like to be able to connect it to the Hopper because I have TV shows/movies that I haven’t watched yet and don’t want to lose them so I would transfer them to the external hard drive before I would switch receivers. Will all the Hoppers work with the external hard drive so I can watch these shows from the external hard drive or even transfer them to the Hopper's hard drive? I don't want to pick a particular Hooper and after I have it, discover it won't work with the external hard drive.

And what about any timers I have setup on the ViP722K? Do I have to make note of all of them and set them up again on the Hopper or will those timers transfer over?

I also have a Sling adapter, would I be able to attach it to the Hopper to access any of my recorded shows when I’m not at the house? How does that affect anyone at the house watching something if I want to access recorded shows at the same time? Currently with the ViP722K, it would prevent anyone from watching or recording on TV2.

9 Replies

Re: Which Hopper? Mirroring? Remotes?

Bchan
Costume Designer
Wow, a lot here... Ok here goes,

Hopper 3 can't support 11 TVs, that's too many Joey's trying to connect. So that is already not going to happen from a technical standpoint

The RF modulator won't work, their is coax from the hopper to Joey, neither can actually even do coax to tv, so coax in both cases are essentially straight from there satellite dish (ignoring the taps or whatever they are called). So the signal must hit a receiver first. Since their is no coax to tv option with a hopper set up, your only options are really HDMI or rca to tv. So to mirror it would have to be mirrored somehow from an HDMI or rca cable.

Remotes are IR and uhf, but they have 52.0 remotes they come with, so your 21.1s won't with with the hopper. It actually uses uhf 2.0 so the old uhf remotes don't with with it.

I am relativity certain your external hard drive will work to transfer your recordings, but the timers you'll have to set back up.

The sling is actually built into the hoppers now, so no need for the adapter. Sling still takes up a tuner, but with 16 tuners, I doubt you would ever notice. Hopper tuners are floating, so they won't take up a tv anywhere.

Ok I think I got them all. The mirrors are going to be your biggest challenge. I would definitely make sure you have a solution for that before you pull the trigger, a dish tech will not recommend mirroring nor help set up any mirroring since mirroring on a hopper isn't really "dish approved". It will also definitely require extra hardware that dish won't supply.

Another option might be a wireless Joey that you can physically move from room to room, or get some fire sticks and put dish anywhere on them in the rooms

GrannyBarbHutson
Camera Crew

Thank you for replying and letting me know that there is NO coax OUT on either the Hopper or the Joey.  As much as I'd love to have a Hopper, looks like I'm stuck with the ViP722K to be able and mirror all the TVs that are in the house.

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
You would be better off going into the Dish forum on satellite guys, and asking them this questions. Lots of retailers that do custom builds like this that can give you the best info. The 21.1 remotes will work with the Hopper and Joey systems, but only in IR for the reasons listed above.

Just google Dish satellite Guys

GrannyBarbHutson
Camera Crew

Update.....Changed to a Hopper 3 and have been able to mirror it throughout the house with a RF Modulator that feeds to a whole house splitter after chatting with the SatelliteGuys. The tech that installed the Hopper new exactly what I needed and even set it up for me!

gayleej
Extra

Did your external hd from the vp722 work with the hopper?

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
It should. Mine, Peggy and a few others did it that way and it worked just fine.

gayleej
Extra

Thank you for your reply.  Got new hopper yesterday.  At first I had some trouble with my external hard drive connection—it recognized the programs but wouldn’t let me access them.  I unplugged the H3 and then it worked fine.  Hurray!

GrannyBarbHutson
Camera Crew

@gayleej wrote:

Did your external hd from the vp722 work with the hopper?

Yes, the external hard drive I had with the ViP722K works with the Hopper 3. Sorry I didn't reply when you posted as I didn't get a notification.

gayleej
Extra

Thank you for yr reply.