What exactly does SLING do for me as a fedature of my H3?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What exactly does SLING do for me as a fedature of my H3?

Zigzag03
Character Actor

Can someone tell me exactly what I get out of Sling? I can't find any mention of it in the Home menu, it's not like you can select it and interact with it as near as I can tell. What does it do for me the the Dish Anywhere app doesn't? Thanks!

5 Replies

Re: What exactly does SLING do for me as a fedature of my H3?

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
It puts the programming on the Dish Anywhere app. Without the Sling technology, you’d just have on demand on DA.

Zigzag03
Character Actor

Got it! Thank you!

Flmatthew
Extra
It takes the place of a sling box which was used to connect you to your dishplayer anywhere in the world. Now it supplies the dish anywhere app. Problem is that now DISH had stopped supporting us who spent thousands buying multiple sling boxes. They will not even acknowledge us just as they will not tell you when or if HBO will be back. My guess no. No because HBO can't offer dish a better deal than anyone else. Just buy a Roku for 30 bucks if you have internet and buy HBO when you want it. It can be bought as stand a line or with Amazon or with Hulu or with Roku app that is free to use. Dish offers the best hands down DVR in the business but don't seem to understand what most people want which is customer service. St least put out a statement now and then to what is going on.
Highlighted

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
They put out a statement every 3 months, even if nothing is going on. It is the shareholder conference call. And no, you do not have to be a shareholder to access it, or read about it in the news. They also post the details of the call on their website under investor relations.

The SlingBox was not a Dish product at anytime. That was a product from the company they owned, SlingMedia... the Sling Adapter May be what you’re referencing, and at its highest cost it was $125. Pretty close to a year now that they stopped usuals of the Sling Adapter though, as the boxes have Sling built into them. Nothing to adapt. They upgraded the platform, and as the receivers the Sling adapter was to be used on are now obsolete, the support of the software on them is no longer needed as well. They are also obsolete. I actually just threw two away.

Zigzag03
Character Actor

I can't really comment further, not having ever been a Sling user, but I would like to say that I've always found Dish customer service to be good. We've been with them for nearly 20 years, and rarely do I have anything to complain about when I've hung up after a call. And frankly, the only calls are really about a failed reciever, which they turn around very quickly. Compared with other tv providers (you know who you are!) I'd say they're pretty good. 

My only bitch with Hopper/Joey is the inability to sync them, making it difficult to decipher when the same content is playing on tvs in adjacent rooms. Otherwise, I like the system. 

Thanks for everyone's insight as always.