cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Time To Move On

Roadijeff
Cinematographer

I never, ever expected to say this since I have been a loyal Dish customer and supporter for over 20 years.  However, I feel it is time to move on.  I handled the HBO snub because I only watched it when Dish was doing the free  preview weekends.  I was sort of OK with the CBS dispute because I have an OTA antenna (given to me by Dish) connected to my Hopper 3 and I can still watch and record those shows. 

However, losing Fox Sports Midwest was about it for me.  I live in the St. Louis area and I like watching the Cardinals, especially when they are in a heavy pennant race.  I have been patient while I hoped both sides would come to an agreement and Fox Sports Midwest would return soon.  It does not look like that is going to happen and the latest statment from Dish CEO Charlie Ergen indicated that it may never happen.

“It doesn’t look good that the regional sports will ever be on Dish again,” he said.

Cardinals remain off Dish Network and Sling. Could it be permanent?

I thought my wife would object to switching to another provider but I was surprised when she said earlier tonight that she wouldn't mind, as long as she could still watch and record her handful of favorite shows. 

Spectrum sent me a tempting off in the mail yesterday for around $90/mo for high speed internet and TV.  I already have their internet and combined with the $120/mo I pay to Dish I currently pay over $185/mo for the two.  Yes, I know that is Spectrum's introductory offer and will increase after 12 months but it will still be lower that what I pay now.

Dish, you just went too far and I have finally had enough.  I believe it is time to say goodbye and move on.

11 Replies

Re: Time To Move On

peggyrh
Casting Director

Did you see that Spectrum is raising it's DVR fee to $25? & look at their other fees, I thought Dish was bad but Spectrum has them beat.  Hopefully your first year deal is heavily discounted.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/spectrum-tv-now-charges-24-98-a-month-to-use-its-dvr/

Roadijeff
Cinematographer

I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone in a Spectrum store yet but I did stop by an AT&T Store earlier today.  They have a very attractive new service that is being rolled out in 5-6 cities across the US.  It just started Monday, replacing U-verse.  It's called AT&T TV. St. Louis is one of those cities.

They gave me some prices on the first year cost of TV and internet bundle, including DVR service, etc., and what happens after that.  The first year I would save $960 over what I am paying now. 

I haven't decided yet on what I will do.  If Dish announced tomorrow that the dispute with Fox Sports was close to being worked out I would stay.  However, nothing but crickets from them on that.

peggyrh
Casting Director

i know the feeling, would hate to leave too.  My local Fox has been gone for 5+ weeks & new Fall shows will be starting soon. Really hate these blackouts. The link I posted has more info about the new streaming service too.  I've got my fingers crossed something happens soon since my options are limited - I can't get locals OTA without a huge antenna.  Enjoy your research!

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
I saw today on the SG site that as Sinclair took ownership of the channels today, they announced a priority to get the channels back on Dish.

peggyrh
Casting Director
Wish it was Meredith, neighbor is getting worried about football.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
I do as well, although I am sort of happy Meredith is down right now. I know it sucks when you can’t get OTA, but I got the rooftop, and the autohop is next day on CBS. One of those win some lose some. That really sucks Peggy. I am making a wild guess that it will be back before 9/5, however. Just a hunch.

peggyrh
Casting Director
Thanks, fingers crossed.

PepeLep
Audio Engineer

I'm in the same boat. Dish is not indicating that there's any progress on getting Fox Sports Midwest back on the air. It's very frustrating. 

I'd hate to leave Dish, but they're useless without it.

I hope they resolve it soon or I'll have to move on.

Roadijeff
Cinematographer

Well, I did it.  I went to the AT&T Store today and signed up for AT&T TV.  I have 14 days to decide if I like it or not with no obligation.  I will keep Dish until that time if for some reason I do not like the new service.

If Dish announces that the Fox Sports Midwest dispute is resolved during the next 14 days I will stay with Dish but I do not think that will happen.