New installation-remote 54 will not turn hopper receiver on, only TV

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation-remote 54 will not turn hopper receiver on, only TV

momof5dks
Character Actor

We have recently had the hopper sling installed.  The remote (54) when set to SAT will only turn the TV on and does not turn the receiver on.  We've had to physically press the power button which then sends it into startup mode and can cause problems with recordings.  Any idea what is wrong and how we can bring the receiver up without this issue.  Thanks.  I've tried searching this problem, but none of the postings seem to address this issue.

10 Replies

Re: New installation-remote 54 will not turn hopper receiver on, only TV

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
Have you tried to unpair and re-pair the remote to the receiver?

momof5dks
Character Actor

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have unpaired and repaired and will see if there is any change when the receiver has powered down.  I hope it could be that simple.  I will report back.

momof5dks
Character Actor

Thanks again for the suggestion to unpair and then repair the remote.  It seems to have worked since I was able to bring up everything this morning with the remote; even with the green light off on the receiver.  Hoping the fix continues to work!  Thanks again.

baldman1
Cinematographer

Also if you speak turn off it will turn off the Hopper and you won't go thru the five minute standby as when you hit the off button.

momof5dks
Character Actor

I spoke too soon when saying that this was a solution.  At the present moment, the Hopper Sling is showing a red light indicating it is recording.  There is no green light.  When the power button on the remote is pressed (SAT), the tv comes on, but there is no response from the Hopper.  I could press the power button on the unit itself, but that will interrupt the recording and cause it to go into the startup sequence.  This is getting frustrating.

P.S.>  I should note that the other tv connected wireless via a Joey was on during this time and operating fine.  I cancelled the recording and then had to press the power button on the hopper sling for a period of time for it to turn on and then go throught the startup sequence, then it acquired a signal and of course during this time the other TV lost its signal.  So, since the other TV had been working, does that indicate that the receiver was on and functioning and something is out of whack with the remote on the main unit?  I apologize if I'm not making sense.

DISH Employee

Hi momof5dks. I get what you're saying. Yes, since the other TV was still able to watch Live TV while you were having issues in the main room, we're looking more at a remote functionality concern rather than a receiver concern. 

When you have both the TV and the receiver ON and press the (SAT) button one time and then the (POWER) button one time, do both turn off without issue?

momof5dks
Character Actor

Hi ReyU, thank you for responding.  When I do as you say, press the SAT once and then the power button once on the remote, the TV goes off, the receiver still has the green light on, but that goes off after the 5 minutes.  Also, as a note, the sound for this system is through surround sound and also is silent when the power button is off, indicating it is not getting a signal even though the sound receiver is still on. 

However, with the sound receiver still on, I hit the SAT and power button and everything turned on. Then I tried to hit the SAT and Power button to turn off and the receiver is not off, just the TV.  If I leave the sound system on, the channel is playing in the background.  I am very confused.  So, presently, the green light is on the receiver and the sound is playing through, but the TV is off.  I know that is clear as mud.  The problem is that these things are not consistant.  If I hit the SAT and power button now, the TV comes on and the message that your hopper will go into standby in 4m25s is displaying and counting down.

I let the countdown continue and the green light went off. turned the tv off.  (sound system off- in case that makes a difference)  Pressed SAT (the green light comes back on) and then power and the tv comes on witht he message.  So, that is fine.  But it is inconsistant.  I'm not sure what is causing the variation.

I just pressed the SAT button and the green light came on the receiver and the sound is playing, when I hit the power button, the countdown message comes on and if I hit a button, the tv comes on.  Presently something is being recorded.  Well, i'm sure in the morning after it's powered down, I'll have the same issue.  Not sure where to go from here.

DISH Employee

Hello momof5dks, thank you for providing that information. We may want to take a look at the remote settings. If at all convenient, we can and your receiver is connected to the Internet. We can assist in a Private Message with a Smart Connect, with your permission, we can remotely access your receiver and assist you with a quick diagnostic. Would that be okay?

momof5dks
Character Actor

Hi Kevin,

I would be open to that.  Just let me know what would be the next step.  It is connected to the internet.  We have satellite internet in case that would cause a problem.  Sometimes the speed isn't the greatest.  Thanks.