cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Low Signal across the board in the low 40s

dbax42
Character Actor

New to Dish, 2 months now, with Hopper 3 and not extras, just the receiver connected to Satellite antenna on a 20 foot cable.  After install the average signal across the board was in the upper 30s -- lots of pixeling.  After not seeing any improvement and seeing our weather here in sunny California has been clear, I called Tech and they remotely reset everything, did not help, and even on one channel it was worse, went to green or is it yellow screen for almost a minute and sound stopped, it did come back on with pixeling.  Called tech a second time and they sent out another Tech installer to check things out.  He found nothing wrong, other than a minor adjust, and suggesting we buy a $35 Pearl HDMI cable.  Went back to checking signal strength and found he had improved the signal by about 4 signal points, so not we are averaging in the low 40s across the board.  Watching Good Morning America, this Sunday and more pixeling on the screen.  Tech says that low 40 is the minimum acceptable ?  The signal meter show a swing reading up to 125.  Having left Direct TV, whose signal strength from same location was in the average high side of 80s, with many signals in the 95 range.  What is going one here.   No error messages either.  Clear skive, but visiting Tech seemed to think every thing was alright, but even he said that low 40s is the least of signals -- But for every channel????  We have a couple that reach into the 60s, but all the rest in the low 40s.  What is it going to be like when the weather changes and we start having some rain?  Anyone esle dealing with this?  Any solutions other than just being satisfied with inferior signal to my LG 4K TV?  Is it a Hopper problem or just a Dish in denial problem?  

3 Replies

Re: Low Signal across the board in the low 40s

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Anything above 30 is a viewable signal. If it is above 30, it is the same as above 60. You are correct, however, in the sense that the stronger the signal the less likely you are to have a weather outage.

Again, there is no difference in the viewable picture from 35 and above. Below 30 starts to pixelate, and 25 is when signal loss occurs. These are not percentages, however points. If you’re getting between 40-60 on your channels, you have a good signal strength.

dbax42
Character Actor

Right, you are so right, that is, until you are not, or the weak signal is interupted by a bird flying in front of the dish, or a big angry cloud, or just a mild rain, and that is when you want your singal in the 60 plus range.  On a clear sky and no wind I still get pixeling and on one of the local channels, over the Satellite, all reading below 40, I have even experienced green screen freeze and not sound for several second.  Now, remember, I am new to Dish and using the Hopper 3, which seems to be working great.  I have been on the phone with support and a TECH came out and fiddle with the dish, and most of the channels reading in the 30s moved into the low 40s, only a couple got even close to 60.  All of the test have been done, the resets made, and still experiencing some pixeling and low signal. 

I understand the thing about the 20 reading picture will look as good as the 60 level because digital is digital, but even you admited that weather might bug the lower reception.  Heck, we are not having any weather problems or interference and these low signals are still producing picture pixeling, studdering and sound fading in and out.  So, what is the answer?  Maybe figure out how to get out of this lame contract and go back to Directv.  I went to Dish for the Hopper 3 features, Directv can't compete in that area yet, but never had the pixeling problem, except for a couple of times during a heavy rain.  I can't imagine what the Dish picture is going to do when the rainy season hits.  

Is it possible to get out of this 2 year contract?  I am still under 90 days, what is the cut off?  No one seems to have the answer at Dish.  Is anyone with the Dish system getting better signal strengths?  

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
If it is in the 40’s and pixelating, it is not the signal quality that is the issue. As far as a trial period, there is none. Once installed and agreed upon(the contract) it is in place for the term of service.