HBO and Cinemax blackout: From the customer, hear my voice!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HBO and Cinemax blackout: From the customer, hear my voice!

Summermoon50
Extra
I’ve been missing some of my favorite TV shows thanks to the squabble DISH is having about rates with HBO/AT&T.  It’s my understanding that HBO offered to extend the contract during negotiations, but DISH walked away.  It was DISH who decided their customers would go without HBO (and Cinemax) as leverage, leverage at the negotiating table, and as an example of predicted blackouts resulting from the merger and during the appeal of the AT&T/Time Warner antitrust case.

Because I side with DISH about this merger, I am standing with them for now, and I hope they are successful, but I’m wondering if DISH is really being fair to their customers during this period.  I’m not so sure they care so much about the customers.  I received only an $11.67 total credit on my bill for a blackout of both HBO & Cinemax during 11/1/18-11/15/18.  I have the Everything package, but it seems to me during my pkg evaluations before I contracted, 2 premium channels were more than $11.67 monthly.  I’m still seeing specials on the internet advertised for $10 monthly, increasing to regular price after 3 months or something.  I’ve been a DISH subscriber for at least 14 years, so I’m paying regular price at this time.  I’ve also noticed DISH has taken down any price references for individual premium channels added to a smaller pkg.  So, do they not want us to see how much we’re really paying for premium channels??

Since we pay in advance, the 1st credit showed up on the 11/15/18-12/14/18 bill, so hopefully that was really the credit for the period 11/1/18-11/15/18 period for which I did not receive service and not for the current billing period.  There is no communication from DISH to explain any of this.  If it is for the 11/1/18-11/15/18 period, it’s nice (sarcasm) that DISH makes us pay in advance, but when they turn off our service until who knows when, we still have to pay full price IN ADVANCE for something we don’t have, until they decide what credit we receive after the fact.

I’m questioning whether I’m getting screwed regardless of what company I choose.  I’m missing out on shows I’m paying for in advance and I’m getting screwed on my bill.  Thanks a lot DISH.  I feel like unappreciated collateral damage.

How much longer will this go on??
4 Replies

Re: HBO and Cinemax blackout: From the customer, hear my voice!

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
The credit would have been from 11/1 to end of billing cycle. There would not or should not be any charges other than $0.00 for HBO and Max for the new period

Summermoon50
Extra

Hey Chadt4141-Casting director, are you a company employee or something??  I have the Everything pack, I am charged $137.99 monthly for that pkg which includes all the premium movie channels.  I was charged $137.99 for the 10/15/18-11/14/18 period, paid on 10/17/18 and I did not have HBO or Cinemax from 11/1/18-11/14/18 for that period.  The next month I was charged $137.99 for the 11/15/18-12/14/18 period, I received a $11.67 credit dated 10/31/18 on that bill and the bill was paid on 11/17/18.  So I’m hoping the $11.67 credit was for the previous period (11/1/18-11/14/18) and if that is the case, I still paid in advance on 11/17/18 for service I don’t have.  

Highlighted

joannec1965
Character Actor

No deary, we are all getting screwed. You screw over the loyal customers by constantly raising our rates and now you are screwing over everyone by allowing this black out to take place. Enough with placating your customers...Solve the **bleep** problem and give us FAIR and DECENT pricing.

DISH Employee

Summermoon50, I would be happy to double check on your billing to make sure that the adjustments for HBO and Cinemax on your account were correct. Just send us a Private Message with the phone number and 4 digit Pin on the account so we can access that information. https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039