cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

HBO GONE!

beneben
Character Actor

What is really going on with HBO? The tv guide for you says HBO has removed its channels from Dish. That is not what all the new sources are saying. Dish pulled our service while they are negotiating. Why are we the collateral damage? This is the same thing with CBS a year or two ago, pulling our paid service because you can't get it together. I am ready to cancel and go elsewhere to get HBO back. I am very disappointed that this couldn't have been handled in a better way.

111 Replies

Re: HBO GONE!

DISH Employee

We apologize you have been impacted by HBO’s decision to remove their programming from our lineup. We are working hard to reach a mutually beneficial agreement for the restoration of their channels. For more information visit DISHPromise.com.

cochise_49
Character Actor

When will this be resolved? I can’t even find how to cancel HBO or Cinemax. I plan to stop both of those and get HBO Now via Amazon Prime. Dish says it’s all AT&Ts fault. I am not a customer of AT&T. I am an 18 year Dish/HBO customer. Dish isn’t treating us very well here. At the least, I may just stop premium channels. Wait a year and HBO shows come to Amazon Prime. How about some answers Dish?

DISH Employee

Hello chochise_49. We understand that this dispute with HBO has been very frustrating. We don't have a current timeline when HBO will return! While we work to reach a mutually beneficial agreement with HBO for the restoration of their channels, you will not be charged. HBO will be reflected as $0.00 on your bill. The fact is, only HBO can remove your access to their content. We are actively negotiating and are open to a fair deal for the restoration of HBO. Once an agreement is reached, HBO’s channels will be restored and available immediately. 

Alibrat
Character Actor
I understand it is a dispute with AT&T but HBO and Showtime were the only movie channels I even watched so the measly 13.00 credit to my account is like a slap in the face. I do believe that YOU DishNetwork are in breach of contract which means when I cancel my services, you can not hold me liable for the remainder of my contract.

DISH Employee

I hear your concern, Alibrat, and will pass it to our Home Office. I hate to hear that you are thinking about leaving the DISH family. We know that channel negotiations are tough for our customers and want to make this tough time easier. I will be happy to take a look at your account help you find any alternative options to make this time easier. 

Can you send me a private message with your phone number and 4-digit PIN? 

dgarber
Character Actor
I do hope someone will notify us through email when it has been resolved. As a customer of both AT&T (cell phone) and Dish with HBO, this has made me reevaluate my relationship with AT&T after reading the issue behind the dispute. It sounds like AT&T/HBO/DirecTV wants Dish to guarantee and pay for a certain number of HBO subscribers. If this is really the case, then I applaud DishNetwork for standing up for their customers and telling HBO they won't push their programming on consumers that haven't expressed an interest. This seems suspicious considering the new contract time period will cover the last season of Game of Thrones, after which HBO must realize they will immediately lose more than half of their subscribers. It seems like their fear is turning them into bullies, and they want Dish to have to scramble to retain, recruit and recover subscribers when it is HBO that should be doing that job by upping its game/offering us more. Maybe HBO is hoping customers will let their anger over the blackout cloud their judgment and cause them to jump ship to DirecTV or just subscribe through another avenue like HBO Now or Amazon Prime. The problem with this is clear: AT&T and co. are shooting themselves in the foot by trying to strongarm Dish into fixing their inevitable income hemorrhage for them. It is not Dish's fault that Thrones is their big money maker or that it's ending this year. I know at least a few Dish customers (myself included) who have been subscribing to HBO because of GoT, but still kept and paid for it year round and would have continued to do something until I learned of HBO's reason for pulling their programming from Dish. Now I'll just use my daughter's Prime to watch Thrones in April and save myself $180 a year by canceling continual HBO. I mean, really...how childish this whole thing is. You better pay us and guarantee enough of your customers get and keep HBO or we will just make your customers think you've wronged them by yanking it from your satellite service. Sorry, HBO. Most of us can see through your childish tactics and your revenue will reflect the cost of being a bully.

davidf45
Character Actor

I too am of the opinion that Dish is in breach of contract and connot hold me responsible should I decide to move my services elsewhere.  If HBO is not retored by the end of December, I am definitely canceling my services.  The special HBO promotion is one reason I signed with Dish and I made it clear that these channels were vital.  I do not feel that subscribing to a separate service and having multiple bills is any kind of solution.  If I wanted multiple bills, I would start using different streaming services.  Get HBO & Cinemax back or I'm gone!

DISH Employee

We absolutely get how much not being able to view the programming impacts you, davidf45, and our other members. We certainly don't want to see you leave our DISH Family over this. There hasn't been a timeline given on the negotiation process, but we are still actively working to reach a mutually beneficial agreement to get the programming back on for you, as quickly as possible. 

cliffman1000
Character Actor

Along with countless others I'm with you, No Lakers, No Dodgers, No HBO or Cinemax and recently lost Channel 5 for  a time. Though I'm aware ATT now owns Direct TV and will do anything possible to discourage Dish customers I can no longer pay for less. I will never support ATT/Direct, so I guess it's back to cable where I can get all I want until ATT shuts it down as well. Right back to where we were years ago when the gov. blocked such take overs. BOYCOTT AT&T, BOYCOTT AT&T, BOYCOTT AT&T BLOOD SUCKERS!