External hard drive routine maintenance?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

External hard drive routine maintenance?

GerryG
Character Actor

I came home this evening and turned on my TV at 9:05 to find my Hopper was "performing a routine maintenance check" on my external hard drive. It was only supposed to 'take 40 minutes or more'. "Please wait . . ." I had scheduled the Hopper to record 3 shows that I was afraid I'd miss if I worked late (why I wanted the thing). I missed all three shows, and only one is available on demand. The other 2 I have to go elsewhere, or my PC. I don't do mobile things, and I can't pay someone else for what I'm already paying Dish for. It is so irritating.

I waited an hour and 3 minutes, and the Hopper still had much more to go checking out my hard drive. I opened Chat on DISH.com; waited 30 minutes for someone to answer. The 'Samantha' suggested I unplug and force a reboot. It got the Hopper to allow me to watch TV, but it killed the hard drive. It will not recognize it at all. I had a lot of shows stored on the drive; and if they are gone, I'm gone. The 'Smantha' did not wait for me to come back to the PC to tell her the TV was back. She couldn't wait as long as it takes for the Hopper to  reboot. I am SO tired of paying for things that don't work and people who could care less about customer service.

9 Replies

Re: External hard drive routine maintenance?

MAXJAMES07
Extra
This will be my 3rd hard drive failure within 9 years not once have I ever been offered an external hard drive so we dont continue to lose hours of our DVR recordings. Several phone calls and forced reboots and still being told to unplug and wait. Unbelievable that we pay to lease and have protection on equipment and we need to argue to have a new box sent as they keeps sending faulty units. Sad on customer service to not follow up just keep unplugging mam and it will reboot.

GerryG
Character Actor

I'm on my 3rd or 4th Hopper. The one before this lasted 1 day. I got another by 'over-night' (2-days), but still missed programs that can't be gotten again until re-run season.

It's my own personal external hard drive storage device that messed up last night. The 'knowledgable' customer service rep said nothing would happen. The Hopper still will not recognize the drive, even though it is getting power from the Hopper.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
The external hard drive should not be getting power from the Hopper. If it is, then it is not a supported setup.

You don’t pay for the EHD usuage on a Hopper. It is free. You also do not pay a leasing fee... the monthly fee is an active outlet fee that is the same whether owned or leased.

GerryG
Character Actor

I followed instructions from a 'knowledgeable' rep on the phone, and it has worked for months. The Hopper recognized it immediately, and went to work programming it, so obviously it IS a 'supported' device.

Who said anything about fees anyway? I was not questioning the Hopper. BTW: My original 'agreement' says "Leased", I know I don't own the unit. It's now $12/Mo to use it & also insured for $9.99 monthly. That's $263.88 a year. The protection does not cover the external hard drive.

You can buy a really good VCR/DVD player for a lot less.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
It working and it being supported are two different things. The fees you’re talking about are active outlet fees. They are not lease fees. You pay the same whether you own or lease the equipment. The protection plan does not cover EHDs as those are third party items.

GerryG
Character Actor

Go away.

I asked about Hopper messing with my external hard drive.

I turned the TV on this morning and it was working, but most of the content had been errased.

I am beyong bad mood with DISH. Will be hunting for another solution for TV viewing.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
The Hopper will only do what it is supposed to do. If using an unsupported EHD, then it would explain a lot about why this is happening. You said earlier the Hopper was powering the EHD, however the reason EHDs are not supported for that is because they cannot work reliably. It would need to be self powered, spinning single disk, and between certain GBs... I believe 50GB is still the minimum and 2 TB is the maximum.

DISH Employee

While that was true in the past Chad this is no longer accurate.

The only requirements for EHD's are as follows:

1: It must be a single platter drive

2: 2 TB size limit

3: it must support USB 2.0 or higher

4: Only one EHD connected at a time is officially supported

I have used this exact EHD model on my test equipment, and it has worked with no issue.

GerryG
Character Actor

The DISH field rep who set up my Hopper also set up the external drive. It worked fine until 3 days ago when I came home to find the Hopper performing routine maintenance on the external drive at 8:15 PM  that I did not set up. I did not know Hopper bothered with external drives. The 'error' window would not go away, and after waiting an hour and 30 minutes, I opened the Chat portal. The Chat rep 'Samantha' said to kill the power and force a reboot. I told her I did not want to lose content on the drive, and she said "I hope not. I don't think it will". She left the chat and I guess checked with someone else, but came back to tell me to go ahead. It took longer than I guess she thought it would, because she left a note on the Chat portal saying "guess everything is OK", and clocked out.

I lost most of the content on the external drive.

I don't understrand why the Hopper was doing late afternoon/evening updates. The Hopper is set for 2-hour downtime, and updates at 7:AM. It was also doing it again yesterday. I lost the programs I wanted to watch yesterday, because it was busy doing a reboot at 8Smiley TongueM, and would not allow me access until 8:45+/-.

I don't care to keep DISH service. There is nothing to keep me interested. All my content is gone, favorite shows are not 'currently' available and can't be replaced without having to pay someone else for it. I cannot receive antenna waves due to my terrain (hence this service). If I have to pay outside of this service, why keep this service?