cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Error code 004 and customer service with Dish

mhope814
Character Actor

I have been a loyal customer for 16 years.  I have recently upgraded to the hopper and two joeys.  I did this because I got a new TV and wanted to really enjoy the new system.  Since I have upgraded I now get an error code 004.  I can move the channel up and down and most of the time return to programming.  Recently my system will just go black and takes hours to come back.  I called yesterday morning (5/17) and the service tech was great (I was remote - my office at work).  She tried her best and told me to call if the error code came back.  It came back today (18th)!  So I called... WOW what a difference in service support.  Now I have to pay a service tech $95 to come fix this issue or purchase insurance!?!?  Seriously... yes, they were going to give me three months free service to cover this cost, but seriously!  Just FIX the problem.  I am seriously considering ditching this.  I cant believe I get this kind of cutomer support after 16 years.  Time to move along I think.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Or am I behaving poorly??? Like asking for their issue to be resolved?  FYI... Havent changed a thing in my set-up; no work on my roof, nothing near my dish, havent moved my hopper or joeys etc...  If I am being unreasonable, then please let me know... would love to hear if anyone else expriences this issue

5 Replies

Re: Error code 004 and customer service with Dish

DISH Employee

Hello, mhope814. We appreciate the time you have allowed us to be a part of your home for the past 16 years! I completely understand that having any technical issue is very frustrating and our goal is to provide you with the best service. The DISH Protect Plan is offered to help cover the cost of having a tech go out in case we are unable to fix it  when troubleshooting. We would hate to see you leave the DISH family. I want to personally ensure you are all taken care of. Feel free to send me a private message (https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039) to look over your account further. 

1Barb
Extra

I called in with this error message on my RV before I went out the last time and spent hours on the phone until I was told that the software version 801 should be 804.  Well, the system states that 801 is the current software; although the joey in my RV bedroom is version 802 and also won;t go to 804.  This is unbelievable.  Since this equipment is in a motor home, I have only used this system 6-8 times since I purchased it and spent thousands on the in-motion equipment.  Is this a case of a bad Joey box?  The box in the bedroom doesn't do it as often.  The tech on the phone told me it was a software issue; WELL when will it be fixed.  The season is almost over and inspite of  multiple calls and resets and attempts to upgrade the software the issue is still not resolved.  my home system has a hoper and wally's and I do not have a problem at home- ARE the Joey's the problem.   Please advise

DISH Employee

Hey 1Barb, the Wally's current software is U8.04, if you have a Joey it should be U7.53. Please try the following steps to try to force your reciever to download the lastest software:

-Press the MENU button two times or the HOME button three times, depending on your remote

-Select Tools

-Select UPGRADE SOFTWARE

-Select Upgrade Now on the confirmation popup. If you already have the latest software version, the receiver will display a message confirming this.
If you do not yet have the latest software version, the receiver will reboot, go into standby, then display another popup message. Do not press any buttons during this process, or it may cancel itself. 

CalOso
Extra

I am dealing with the same Error code 004. I even had a technician come out and "fix" the issue. It worked while he was there, but stopping working by the end of the night. The odd thing with my situation is that I have two Hoppers. One works fine, while the other is having the issue. It's very frustrating not being able to watch live Tv, and also the DVR, even though the message says we can still watch the DVR. In my case, the error message remains on the screen when I try to watching something fromt he DVR, making the service useless. I am as well considering dropping Dish after 15 years.

DISH Employee

CalOso, we would hate to see you go. Please send a Private Message so we can look further into this for you: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039