Customer Service and Disappointments

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Service and Disappointments

Only1Putt
Character Actor
Customer for 2 months. Long wait times on both phone and chat. Compared to XFinity where you go online and select a time for a customer service rep to call you. Dish anywhere is absolutely useless when you have issues with your hopper. It only works when your system works. If service is out with XFinity, you can always stream the channels you are paying to receive. Granted you do not have access to your recorded programs but that is minor to me. A week after contract, Dish dropped the Fox Regional sports. No reduction in pricing to eliminate channels that were in the package I selected. Have been in and out of service for almost a week. Started as intermittent signal loss and now no signal. Installer promised to come Sunday to fix, didn't show. Placed a service call by waiting on line for 40 minutes for today (chat had 102 in the que ahead of me). Dish called to say tech would arrive at 5:30 for a 4-6 appointment. Tracking tech and suddenly app said tech was here but no tech. Then it changed to tech left door tab because no one was home even though I was here starting at 3:45. Called and after 20 minute wait rep said the call was still open. I asked why my app showed it closed and that I must reschedule. Rep then said you are correct, my next opening is Sunday. After escalating to a supervisor was told that the tech left the I missed you tag at a 3 story white house. My house is light green. Eventually got the supervisor to reschedule the call for tomorrow at 4-6. Who knows if they will show up. Anyone had successful in canceling a contract with Dish due to these type issues. I admit I failed to do my homework since I was a former dish customer 8 years ago and at that time they were very customer oriented. When XFinity and Direct have better customer service, you know that it can't get any worse.
8 Replies

Re: Customer Service and Disappointments

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
That wouldn’t justify canceling or waive the contract. The techs come to work on your personally owned equipment(antenna, Cabling, etc... only thing owned by Dish is the receiver). Technicians are also not a guaranteed service, meaning you have no contractual obligation to a technician.

Only1Putt
Character Actor
You are most likely correct; however, you would think that having an agreement for service plus a service contract would place some obligation on Dish to provide the service.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
No, satellite is a self control system. Meaning that you are in charge of how well it works. They have no obligation to that. They offer techs to make it easier on their customers. There is no requirement however.

DiamondGirl9983
Camera Crew

I'm with you Sir.  I know of no other contract in ANY business, where a contract can be broken by one party, but not the other.  These "contracts" are going to be challenged in Court soon, I'd wager.  If there's a class action, count me in.

Only1Putt
Character Actor
Dish has no obligation to provide the service that they are selling! It is up to the customer to make sure it works?

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
They have no obligation to offer a technician. Their obligation is to send the satellite signal from the sky. Reception at your home is your obligation.

marymc8
Camera Crew

We had Dish about 8 years ago too and the customer service was excellent.  Now all the want to do is take channels away and charge more.  We will be leaving soon.

@Only1Putt wrote:
Customer for 2 months. Long wait times on both phone and chat. Compared to XFinity where you go online and select a time for a customer service rep to call you. Dish anywhere is absolutely useless when you have issues with your hopper. It only works when your system works. If service is out with XFinity, you can always stream the channels you are paying to receive. Granted you do not have access to your recorded programs but that is minor to me. A week after contract, Dish dropped the Fox Regional sports. No reduction in pricing to eliminate channels that were in the package I selected. Have been in and out of service for almost a week. Started as intermittent signal loss and now no signal. Installer promised to come Sunday to fix, didn't show. Placed a service call by waiting on line for 40 minutes for today (chat had 102 in the que ahead of me). Dish called to say tech would arrive at 5:30 for a 4-6 appointment. Tracking tech and suddenly app said tech was here but no tech. Then it changed to tech left door tab because no one was home even though I was here starting at 3:45. Called and after 20 minute wait rep said the call was still open. I asked why my app showed it closed and that I must reschedule. Rep then said you are correct, my next opening is Sunday. After escalating to a supervisor was told that the tech left the I missed you tag at a 3 story white house. My house is light green. Eventually got the supervisor to reschedule the call for tomorrow at 4-6. Who knows if they will show up. Anyone had successful in canceling a contract with Dish due to these type issues. I admit I failed to do my homework since I was a former dish customer 8 years ago and at that time they were very customer oriented. When XFinity and Direct have better customer service, you know that it can't get any worse.

Only1Putt
Character Actor
It appears that the third tech is the charm. Took him about 15 minutes to diagnose the issue. A squirrel had eaten thru the insulation on the cable from the LNB to the smart panel which fed the system. Neither he nor I could understand why it took 3 service calls to find. The installation used the cable from the roof that was previously installed when I had Dish 8 years ago. Cable was current type and did not present an issue but the insulation was eaten away by a squirrel which was causing the intermittent issues. Only guess as to why it worked short term when other techs were here is that when testing near the cable problem, the movement of the cable to hook up test instrument must have allowed some signal to pass. Regardless, quality of signal would not have been 100 %. One of the previous techs mentioned that the signal was fluctuating but "that was normal" in his opinion. With fingers crossed, I'm hoping no more problems. I've already invested in both a Roku and firestick so that we had tv during the last several weeks and tried Hulu and YouTube tv. Both were more than adequate. Small issues mostly with the way you move around and find channels. At least the family is now familiar with those services and are ok with using them. With 1g internet and unlimited data, one of the services listed above is certainly a solution. PlayStation Vue with my Roku will be the next test if I lose service again. Lots of options when contract is up or when can elation charges can be offset by savings by moving to other services. Time will tell. I did get a call from a Dish case manager who was assigned to my account with a direct contact number, which certainly is a step in the right direction.