The issue is missing channels that occur when I change the receiver’s location. Here are the details: I have two (2) Wally’s which I interchange between my house and my motorhome. When the Wally’s are operating in my house, I get all of the channels that I’m subscribed to, including local channels. However, when I move either of the Wally’s to the motorhome, I lose 25% of the subscription channels and I lose all of the local channels. I’ve even tried alternating and swapping-out the Wally units – I get the same limited number of channels. I’ve gone through the steps of the tutorial and every other possible remedy more than once (including verifying “All Subscribed”, power-off and reboot, update programming guide, etc.). Nothing has worked. I could better understand this if I didn’t get ANY channels but to get 75% is baffling.