1st HBO, then CBS (Meredith), and now FoxSports South?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 1st HBO, then CBS (Meredith), and now FoxSports South?

Parsonsj2278
Extra
We have been without those channels for a few weeks now. We are huge Atlanta Braves fans and cannot watch the games. We are so unhappy with Dish right now. Considering going another route.
Highlighted

DISH Employee

We know that missing your favorite channel is never fun and we are doing all that we can to get it back and at a fair rate for our Dish family. For the most up-to-date information regarding our negotiations, please visit DISHpromise.com

Cw111365
Character Actor

So I said the same thing about breech when we lost Fox (merideth) in my area.  Dish said it is not a breech because it is in the contract.  Well I was going to leave Dish after 8 years a year ago but they offered me a discount but on the phone  they made sure to mention the 2 year time and penalty but did not say anything about "you could lose the channels you are signing up for"-guessing it is in the fine print.  I signed up for 120 channels and HBO and Starz for 6 months.  HBO is now gone.  Fox is now gone.  We lost CBS for a few months the last time.  The hopper doesn't skip commercials most of the time (as advertised).  Alexa cannot seem to work my hopper right either.  Everything they promised me when I signed up is just fading away-yet you don't feel there is a breech.  We say there is.  I am about to pay the stupid penalty and get OTA antenna for free viewing before I lose any more of my so called service.  FYI, had to chat tonight to find I could use voice remote without google despite the prompt indicating otherwise.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Mydish.com/legal

Click on Residential Service Agreement.

When it comes to contracts, feelings don’t matter. Black and white does.

Cw111365
Character Actor

Nobody said feelings mattered.  I asked for 120 channels and HBO, I pay for my local channels-we verbally agreed to that on the phone.  I don't get Fox or HBO now. There was no mention on the phone about channel disputes.  False representation.  Puposefully not disclosing your negative side on the phone.  All as stated.  A verbal agreement is as binding as written.  I was also promised the hopper would skip commercials for Primetime recordings.  Fox has not skipped for years-their programming was always off.  Most of my other shows don't skip either.  Dish has advertised the hopper to the nation-they don't mention it doesn't really work.  False advertising.  You should be careful about how childish your replies sound. I have read the posts on the community-many of us feel this way and I am sure a lawyer will read the post at some point and may want to start a suit if we are all right and you are wrong.  We all could leave as well then where will you be?  Your loyal customer base is getting smaller every day.  Let's not push the rest of us there.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
“Everything they promised me when I signed up is just fading away-yet you don't feel there is a breech. “

Yes, feelings got brought up. Contracts have no feelings. Now I encourage to read the contract at mydish.com/legal even more, as channels being dropped, compensation, and dispute resolution are all covered under there. Whether you agree or not, it is there. As far as false representation, the Hopper does do autohop on the four locals. CBS is 8 days, Fox is 7 days, nbc and abc are next day unless they are O&O, at which point it is 3 days. It’s not on every event either. But either way, that is also covered in the agreement. Channel negotiations happen all year and at the time, when you were sold, nobody knew if a channel will be removed. Hundreds of channel contracts expire each year and the majority get renewed without you even knowing about them. So there is no false representation there as well. Fox Sports got extended, until one of the sides were no longer interested in extending. Like I said, you are quoting a bunch of things without having read your agreement, so maybe we just start there?

BullyDawg
Camera Crew

Dish: Try harder.  You don't seem to have a problem raising fees and adding junk channels.  Drop the junk channels and bring back (at least) Meredith / CBS and Fox Sports South.  By the way, where is the statement credit for Dish's failing to provide stations previously agreed-to? (I know, the CONTRACT says you don't have to give a credit -- in fact you can raise fees anyway.  But it's hard to take your "we have our customers' best interests at heart" argument seriously when you are actually PROFITING off the boycott!)

BullyDawg
Camera Crew

Actually, fairness matters.  I am an attorney and, this being a consumer contract, some portions could easily be held as unconscionable by a Court.  For example, Dish has the absolute right to remove any and all channels and offer no discount.  In fact, Dish could raise the fees while dropping channels.  However, a consumer faces a re-programming fee for any consumer-requested change and a term contract with early termination fees to drop.  Similar contracts in other industries have been held unconsocionable.  Moreover, I fully expect that Dish would not want any lawsuit -- much less a class action -- to explore its practices.  In such a legal action, discovery would allow an in-depth examination of Dish's costs, profit margins, executive salaries, contracts with broadcasters, etc.

In the end analysis, it is disingenuous for Dish to always blame the other party in its negotiations, and never to accept any responsibility.  Its customers want the programming promised, and certain channels -- like local network affiliates and national sports broadcasting -- should be viewed as absolute priorities.  Negotiate the best price, yes, but these long, petulant boycotts only hurt Dish's customers.

Finally, I find continual responses (whether from a poster or Dish) that "the contract allows us to screw you royally" to be counterproductive to encouraging TV consumers to choose -- or choose to stay with -- Dish.

BullyDawg
Camera Crew

Here's an idea: Dish could offer an out-of-area CBS channel to customers in Meredith/CBS's viewing area.  That would serve Dish's customers, while ultimately forcing Meredith back to the table.

I just find Dish's shrugged shoulders / indignant response to be so hollow.  Where are the free OTA antennas that Dish offered its customers back in 2017?  Actions speak louder than words, but I am only hearing Dish's words -- without any action.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
As an attorney, I would expect that you would have read the agreement, in its entirety, waiving class actions. Also, I would have expected that you may have done some brief research as the SCOTUS has upheld the clauses on multiple occasions. With channel lineup being specifically acknowledged that not channel is guaranteed and you don’t pay on a per channel basis, there is no legal case.

As far as an out of market CBS... they can’t. Blame the FCC for that. Once upon a time they had distant networks... they are a thing of the past due to the FCC. That’s no longer an option.