where's 4k channel 540?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where's 4k channel 540?

roller11
Character Actor
Yesterday, 12/10/2017, I went to check channel 540, and it wasn't there! Not only is 540 no longer in the "available channels" list under 'favorites', the wisconson basketball game, for which I had previously scheduled a timer, was no longer scheduled. Previous to 12/10, the channel always showed in the grid, and displayed "off the air" until the scheduled game went live. Can anyone see channel 540 as an available channel?
8 Replies

Re: where's 4k channel 540?

Did you check mydish.com/gamefinder to make sure this game was showing in 4k? Sorry, our tool does not go back in time so it is hard to check
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

crodrules
Costume Designer
Matt G wrote:
Did you check mydish.com/gamefinder to make sure this game was showing in 4k? Sorry, our tool does not go back in time so it is hard to check

He was talking about the game scheduled on channel 540 for Wednesday 12/13 (tomorrow). It had been listed in the guide as an upcoming event, but now the channel has been completely removed.

roller11
Character Actor
crodrules wrote:
Matt G wrote:
Did you check mydish.com/gamefinder ...

He was talking about the game scheduled on channel 540 for Wednesday 12/13 (tomorrow). It had been listed in the guide as an upcoming event, but now the channel has been completely removed.

Exactly, this is about the channel itself, not programming that's on the channel.

Since nobody has responded to my question, I assume everyone but me does have channel 540. Do you see it, Crod?

stile99
Cinematographer
I see it.

Unfortunately, not in the guide though. I see it on the uplink report as having been removed.

What does this mean? Well, that's why I didn't answer, because I don't know. Is the channel gone forever? Is it gone while nothing is on it, but will return when something is aired? If this is the case, wouldn't scheduling shows on it be difficult? I just don't know. All i can say is right now, as I type this, there is no channel 540. This could change in ten minutes. Or it might not.

roller11
Character Actor
stile99 wrote:
I see it.

Unfortunately, not in the guide though. I see it on the uplink report as having been removed.

What does this mean? Well, that's why I didn't answer, because I don't know. Is the channel gone forever? Is it gone while nothing is on it, but will return when something is aired? If this is the case, wouldn't scheduling shows on it be difficult? I just don't know. All i can say is right now, as I type this, there is no channel 540. This could change in ten minutes. Or it might not.

Thanks for the post. Now I can stop calling Dish tech support since it isn't a problem on my end.
One more thing...there was a problem with the one basketball game that was shown, Valparaiso vs Purdue. Every few seconds, the screen became corrupted. The corruption presented as semi random large areas of complete loss of red and blue sub pixels which caused a mask of green. The green would last 1-2 seconds, then be normal for a few seconds, repeat. I'm wondering if Dish removed the 540 due to some technical glitch. This corruption never occured on any college football game, or the one world series playoff game, or the Planet Earth 2 series back in March. Could this tech glitch be related to removal of 540?

crodrules
Costume Designer
roller11 wrote:
Could this tech glitch be related to removal of 540?

It seems to be more related to a technical glitch with a spotbeam that serves Alaska. The transponder on the 110 satellite that used to be used for channel 540 is now being used for local channels from Fairbanks and Juneau that were moved from the spotbeam to a CONUS (CONtintental US) beam so that subscribers in Alaska could still get their local channels in standard-definition. A similar glitch with a spotbeam that serves Texas has caused ten HD PPV movie channels to be removed from Western Arc so those local channels could be moved to the transponder where the PPV movies used to be. Here is a link to the uplink report showing when these changes started:
https://www.dbstalk.com/community/index ... st-3487747

crodrules
Costume Designer
crodrules wrote:
A similar glitch with a spotbeam that serves Texas has caused ten HD PPV movie channels to be removed from Western Arc...

...and now those HD PPV movie channels have also been removed from Eastern Arc.
https://www.dbstalk.com/community/index ... st-3488183

snapple070
Extra
I also no longer have 540. Is the channel gone? Is there no longer a 4K channel? Not that there was ever anything on it anyway.