Just bought a Toshiba fire tv. After trying a number of pairing remote codes, and contacting Dish support via phone, I was unable to solve a frustrating issue. Normally when a TV is turned on, it promptly goes to live TV. However, the fire tv always booted to a fire tv home screen.
Before the fix below, the best pairing results allowed the Dish remote 54.0 to operate Volume, Mute, and Power up (to the fire tv home).
Steps to fix this issue:
1) using fire tv remote, press 'Home' and select 'Settings'
2) select 'Display & Sounds'
3) select 'Power On'
4) change from default of 'Home' to 'Last Input'
5) close out fire tv, power off TV, and power TV back on using Dish remote
6) live TV displays instead of fire tv , and issue is resolved
Hopefully one day, Dish techs will update the software to allow use of a Dish remote to navigate up, down, left, and right on the fire tv home.