Why waste bandwidth on SD channels?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why waste bandwidth on SD channels?

techjunk83
Camera Crew
Why does Dish waste satellite bandwidth broadcasting SD channels, why not dedicate this to higher bitrate HD channels?
5 Replies

Re: Why waste bandwidth on SD channels?

hddn
Visual Engineer
Apparently there are still many old SD receivers out there that can't decode newer stuff. I guess they're hoping most people will eventually upgrade on their own since many dislike being forced to upgrade.

My parents were still happily watching SD - in noisy cable analog no less - until the cable system removed the analog channels and they were very annoyed that their VCR wasn't going to work etc. This was only 2 or 3 years ago. I assume that Dish will do it eventually but unlike my parent's cable company, Dish can't tell people to just drive over to the office to pick up a box.

Oh man, this bringing back memories of my parents reacting to that new box too. They were annoyed at that thing for a LONG time.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Eastern Arc customers do not have the SD choice. It's entirely MPEG4. Western Arc customers still have the choice, for now, but the work has already begun in eliminating SD. Dish no longer provides SD equipment, to my knowledge, however they have not disconnected SD boxes just yet. One step at a time. Even when they got rid of QPSK for 8PSK, people complained. HDDN I think hit the nail on the head.

techjunk83
Camera Crew
Sooner or later the luddites need to be cast off for the greater good, I want my 8k :D

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
There are still millions of analog tube TV's out there and they are using 311 receivers. They are not about to buy a HD TV until the big tube dies. And there are still some channels on DISH that are SD only.
And half the prime OTA channels in the Tampa area are only 720

JazzAzz
Camera Crew
Hey if it wasn't for being able to watch, DVR SD, I wouldn't be able to get any local channels at all when it rains, sprinkles, or a bird takes a leak flying over the dish>>LOL.

Dish will tell you that THAT should not happen, LOSING HD locals during rain. May even send a tech out to check the alignment, but nothing changes. Happens everywhere, all across the nation. Google it and you'll get the straight REAL explanation. Something do do with a, "Ka," Frequency that is very sensitive that the local channels apparently ride on. Hey SD in the rain is better than nothing :-)