What happened to my CW?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to my CW?

logdog
Visual Engineer
I tried to record one of my favorite programs on CW (channel 18) and got a message in the guide that "WKCF removed your access to CW 18." What's up with this? CW is part of the channel package that I am paying for. This never happened to me when I had DirecTV or Comcast.
6 Replies

Re: What happened to my CW?

DISH Employee
logdog wrote:
I tried to record one of my favorite programs on CW (channel 18) and got a message in the guide that "WKCF removed your access to CW 18." What's up with this? CW is part of the channel package that I am paying for. This never happened to me when I had DirecTV or Comcast.

Hearst Television Inc. is demanding an unreasonable rate increase, which is nearly 2 times what we currently pay to carry this channel. We can't agree to their unreasonable demands however we are hoping to reach a long term agreement as soon as possible. In the meantime we encourage you to visit our website: www.dishpromise.com. This website provides the same information and updates that our representatives would share and allows you to leave feedback for our executive team.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Hearst blacked out DirecTV in January. But you were probably already on Dish by then which is why you weren't aware of it. Each cable/sat provider either needs to pay whatever they want and pass it on to you or fight back.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
Local channels are free to view with an antenna. You would think that the locals would be thrilled to get more viewers that can't mount an antenna. But because their signal goes through a wire or to a satellite and back, they feel that they should get a ridiculous fee for it. I don't think they should get any fee to retransmit a free service. If the FCC didn't have a requirement that the locals must transmit OTA, you can be sure they wouldn't do it.

logdog
Visual Engineer
Now I've lost NBC too. Unfortunately, I can't view local channels with an antenna because I'm to far from a major city. This is why I pay DISH and now I'm losing channels that I'm paying for.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Yep, it happens. Of course like all provider's Dish's contract explicitly says that no particular channels are guaranteed, otherwise they'd be at a huge disadvantage every time someone wanted a big price hike. Though it it goes on for a long time, you might try asking for a credit. We lost one of our locals for 6 weeks once and they credited us $1/month which was probably more than the channel cost. I haven't heard of them doing that recently though. (By that I mean automatically with out you having to ask.)

That said, asking them for a credit might encourage them to give in more easily so if a bunch of people ask, it might cause a larger price increase next year. Hard to say. I just watch other channels for awhile.

tomkk
Extra
So let me get this straight. My Dishnet monthly bill is increased, ostensibly due to higher cost of local programming then I lose two of my local networks because their prices have increased? What's wrong with this picture?