Unethical business practice

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unethical business practice

ibantu
Extra

I've been a customer for 13 contiuous years and 5-6 years prior to that.  I was told that to upgrade my equipment I had to take a two year contract.  Dishnetwork would not give me newer equipment unless I did so.  I upgraded my equipment and was told that after 6 months they would renew my free 6 months of HBO again.  Today I was told that the sales person lied to me and that I could not have the 6 months free again.  When I asked the agent to review my file I was told that I had no other option and that if I cancelled the service, I WOULD HAVE TO PAY A $360 CANCELLATION FEE!!!!  I'M VERY ANGRY ABOUT IT!.

This is a blatant bait and switch and I'm being held hostage by the $360 fee!  The agent said that the HBO offer would be entered into my file so that at re-newal time I'd have no problems, but it was a lie!  I was also told that there was nobody else to whom I could report a complaint.  I'm seriously seeking to report this to the appropriate governmental agency concerning this deceptive business practice!  I desperaely want to get rid of Dishnetwork now!  The idea of being lied to and then entrapped is grossly offending!

4 Replies

Re: Unethical business practice

DISH Employee

Hello, Ibantu. I can definitely understand being promised something, and not having it be available can be extremely frustrating. Our promotions do change quite often, and this is why we try not to promise something will be there for the long haul. I would be more than happy to review your account, and see what we can do to make this right. Can you send me a Private Message with your phone number and 4-digit PIN please? 

KevinF1
Extra

I have had the exact same issue. I moved in January and was ready to cut the cord after 13 years. I gave the retention agent a price I would be willing to stay for as long as I kept all of the channels. I was told because I was a long term customer with not one late payment that I would be able to call a number (now disconnected) or go online after my HBO and sports pack offers expired. 6 months go by and there are no more offers. The ONLY reason I stayed was because of the price quoted to me and the channels and packages I had would be retained. I asked tons of questions and she said that price would be locked if I signed a 2 year agreement. As you mentioned, I tried to cancel and was blocked by a large cancellation fee since I am still under the 2 year contract.

I have talked to several customer service reps since and get the same frustrating response we have been getting on this matter. I don't think they understand the complaint. It's not that we are upset because we recieved an offer and it has expired. I have taken offers in the past and when they expired I was totally fine with it. The problem is that, As part of your retention plan, I was told that I would have the free HBO deal offered to me and I just had to sign in and claim it. If I break this contract it costs me hundreds of dollars, Dish breaks the contract with no penalty at all.

DISH Employee

I absolutely get your frustration with the situation, KevinF1, and this definitely isn't the experience we want you receiving from DISH. I'd love to take a look at your account and see what options are available to get this resolved.

Will you send me a Private Message with your account/phone number and 4 digit security code, please?

KevinF1
Extra

Just wanted to post the resolution to this matter for anyone who stumbles upon it in the future.

Resolution: After talking with several agents I got the same story. "Sorry you were lied to, there is nothing we can do about it now." So I am still without the services I was promised, and still would need to pay hundreds of dollars to cancel my service. 13 years+ as a customer and I am being held hostage over $15/month. Loyalty is a one way street at Dish.