TVJapan leaving Dish

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TVJapan leaving Dish

salyavin
Character Actor

I understand TVJapan is leaving Dish after all these years on April 2nd.  Seems it will go to DirectTV, not sure why it cannot be on both.  Any idea of the contract or costs that caused the separation?

I see Dish has a new subchannel off TVJapan saying they look forward to providing Japanese programming.  I am unaware of a real competitor to TVJapan, what do you mean by that?  

TVJapan is the most important channel for us (I understand we are a very tiny userbase) so our current plan is to cancel Dish when we move at the end of May so we can get TVJapan at our next residence with a different service. 

28 Replies

Re: TVJapan leaving Dish

Chadt4141
Casting Director
TVJapan made an exclusive to directv Satellite contract. That’s literally all the details anyone can know, as they stay confidential.

mangogod
Character Actor

Does anyone know if something changed? The TVJapan notice pages are gone from their site and they still list Dish as a U.S. provider. I haven't received word from either company...

salyavin
Character Actor

I can tell you nothing has changed.  Yes it was weird they deleted the page in English and Japanese but we recieved an email today reminding us TVJapan will leave Dish and that they could not provide any details. Since even today we recieved the email from TVJapan (in Japanese if you understand I can post it but it doesn't say much) it is strange that they would delete the page.  

salyavin
Character Actor

jevfro
Character Actor

I tried to cancel my DISH service today because of TV japan leaving dish (or dish leaving TV Japan?) and was told there was a replacement Japanese programming station starting 4.2.18... "Family Kazoku" or something like that.  Anybody else out there have any info on this? Looking for the same programming that tv japan offered and pretty sure they can't provide that. Only reason I have subscription tv at all is for NHK world Premium or TV japan as we call it here. Will definately be switching to DirectTV if they pick it up. Not really happy that there was no heads up from Dish either... Only notice I recieved was from My wife who read it on TV Japans Japanese language site.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has any more info!

DISH Employee

Hello JevFro. Effective Monday, April 2, 2018, TV Japan will no longer be available on DISH as the channel owner has decided not to renew their contract with DISH.

To offset the removal of this channel, we are providing TV Japan subscribers with our new Japanese Pack for $19.99 for three months (regularly $24.99). This new pack includes:

• Family Gekijyo
  • MLB Network
  • Bloomberg Television

salyavin
Character Actor

I recieved the same.  From what we could find we nicknamed it the Showa channel due to the age of the programs offered though they are starting Ama-chan (years old morning drama) this week that is Heisei Smiley Wink 

I will be interested to see what pops up on Monday we think no news. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Gekijo

http://www.fami-geki.com/

I am moving at the end of May so we will probably hang around until the move then get a new provider.  A move so soon can make a mess. 

mangogod
Character Actor

Hey everyone- you all probably received the same email from Dish as I did (I got mine Friday) that mentions the change.

RE Family Gekijyo: The saving grace for now is that the email states, "the international version of this popular Japanese channel is being created to offer general entertainment programming including, live action series, anime, documentaries and game shows. Plus, news programming to come!"

So hopefully, that means that they're going to switch up the format for US viewers and include newer programs and news. With the 3 month discount, I figure that's enough time to see if they start making any changes to their format (though I know it may take more time than that). It also gives me a chance to lear out the DVR, just in case we do decide to move.

I agree about the age of Gekijyo's shows (80's, 90s, and earlier). I don't really care about Baseball and haven't watched Bloomberg before. As it stands. this kind of sounds like I was living in Japan and their American programming consisted of MLB network, CNBC, and Nick at Night. Maybe not horrible for some people, but not what I'm looking for.

Hopefully the programming improves- I really dislike ATT/DirecTV and Comcast/Xfinity...

I don't understand why we are finding out today. You say nothing has changed, but in regard to TVJapan, everything has changed.
As a previous post noted, this is a small group of people relative to other stations, but we are very loyal to this station and I expect nearly everyone who has only Dish to receive TV Japan will switch to a new carrier. Guaranteed!!