Sports blackouts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sports blackouts

Jdawg4
Costume Designer
I don’t feel like I’m getting what I’m paying for when it comes to the multisport pack , because, especially on FS North, I swear I’m blacked out of most of the games that are even on that channel, whether they’re actually being transmitted live or not. I know you guys are going to say that it’s controlled by the league, and not the satellite provider, but to be black out of every league’s game on that channel mostly, seems rather weird. For example, i wanted to watch the twins versus Pirates game today at noon, and I was blacked out of the game. I am in Louisiana, nowhere near Minnesota, or Pennsylvania for that matter, and that game isn’t streamed anywhere else, and yet I am still blacked out of that game. I just called MLB, and they told me something about how local channels may not have the rights to show spring train games, and that most likely when the season starts I shouldn’t be blacked out of any more games, I find that hard to believe because if it just so happens that I’m being blacked out of spring training games, that’s one thing, but to be blacked out of regular season NHL or NBA games when i’m nowhere near any of the teams that are being broadcast, and that the games are not being streamed anywhere else, that seems rather weird.
3 Replies

Re: Sports blackouts

DISH Employee

I know blackouts are frustrating, Jdawg4! We have information about how different sports blackouts work on our Sports Blackout Restrictions page.

Jdawg4
Costume Designer
That makes sense why am not receiving some of the content then, I’m not in that market. My next question then becomes, what’s the point of having regional sports networks on a satellite system if you can’t watch the content because you’re not in the area? :-) seems counterproductive. :-)

DISH Employee

While we offer these channels, we do not own them and the agreements with broadcasters and channel owners sometimes require us to blackout sporting events. These blackout rules are controlled by the leagues, sports associations, and networks that purchase the rights to the broadcasts. 

Blackouts on regional channels happen when a national channel such as ESPN, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc., purchase the rights to the game. In these cases, the event will not be available to any regional channel within that team's territory unless a regional channel purchases the rights to the event.