cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Rentals - The Event Has Expired

ryancwill
Costume Designer

When there is a free preview, I often browse the OnDemand titles for the preview channels and rent several titles.  In the past, these were always available to view for the entire time listed in "Available to watch for xx days and xx hours."  There seems to have been a change to this, as I recently rented a few titles during the recent Free Showtime weekend.  Depite the fact that these titles are listed as "Available to watch for 22 days 21 hours", I get a popup window stating "Event Not Available    447     The event has expired."

I realize the free preview time has past but previously I was able to watch these shows/movies over the course of the next 20+ days (typically) after the preview had finished.  If I record a program to the DVR that airs during the preview, it seems I can access it indefinitely, until I choose to delete it.  Is this new time limit on rentals of previews a planned change, or something that has come about as an unplanned side effect through some other change?

I realize a work around for most programming would be to scroll through guide for preview period and find an airing for the show/movie.  This would work for many of the movies but less for show episodes.  But I found that it was much faster and easier to scroll through the On Demand menus to find movies/shows than to scroll through all channels over the days the preview was in effect.  Also searching On Demand, allowed me to do this any time during the preview as opposed to scrolling the guide, which forces me to try to find time to do this near the beginning of the preview period.

I would love to see this limit of watching rentals solely during the preview period changed back to how it functioned in the past.  It was much more convenient  the way it used to be as it didn't force me to try to find an airing of the movie/show to record and I was still able to take advantage of the preview even if I was busy during the preview time.  any rentals not airing during preview period could still be watched even if didnt have the time to watch it during the preview.

Please let me know if this will change back so I can plan accordingly during the next preview.

5 Replies

Re: Rentals - The Event Has Expired

ryancwill
Costume Designer
Do these forums still get monitored and answered by actual Dish employees? Been 2 days and no official reply? Odd!

DISH Employee

Thank you for your feedback, ryancwill! To clarify, previously you were able to view the On Demand items after the free preview weekend had expired?

ryancwill
Costume Designer
In the past (for past 5+ years), any onDemand title from a channel included in free preview that was rented during the free preview period stayed in rentals and was viewable for the entire length of time listed as “Available to watch for xx days and XX hrs”. This was true even beyond the time the free preview was in effect. Now if try to watch once the free preview event has ended but still within time “available to watch ...”, I get the Event has expired message.

DISH Employee

To be honest I wasn't aware that it was possible to view those events past when the free preview expired, because it has to do with the channel's authorization and without the channel's authorization it shouldn't be viewable at all.

baldman1
Visual Engineer

Learn something everyday. lol