Provide non-Hearst NBC and ABC feeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide non-Hearst NBC and ABC feeds

lmunix
Character Actor
Why can't Dish provide NBC and ABC feeds from stations that have been granted carriage while you negotiate with Hearst? At least we would be able to watch Network shows. Local programming is not very important anyway. We have other sources for local news, but we really need the NBC and ABC Network feeds.
9 Replies

Re: Provide non-Hearst NBC and ABC feeds

Chadt41411
Casting Director
FCC prevents it

lmunix
Character Actor
That doesn't make sense. For many years we did not have an local ABC station is this area. During that period, Dish provided a feed from a non-local ABC station 200 miles away. The FCC allowed that.

We are unable to provide out of market locals in these situations. The rules have changed as (very close to) all customers qualify for locals
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

stile99
Cinematographer
lmunix wrote:
That doesn't make sense. For many years we did not have an local ABC station is this area. During that period, Dish provided a feed from a non-local ABC station 200 miles away. The FCC allowed that.

La FCC è mobile, qual piuma al vento, muta d'accento, e di pensiero.

In English, the FCC changes like the wind. In the past this was allowed. As you might imagine, this made it difficult for companies such as Hearst to engage in their bullying tactics, so of course they paid a few members of Congress to eliminate that option. This is why the video says the only way to change this is to contact your Congresscritter. They made the mess, they need to fix it.

lmunix
Character Actor
Getting congress to do something for the little guy is near impossible. Perhaps the best solution for us is to boycott Hearst stations and their advertisers. Of course that's also near impossible to organize, but I plan to do it personally.

lmunix
Character Actor
If the FCC won't allow Dish to deliver out-of-area locals, why can't Dish simply carry a direct NBC and ABC network feed (i.e. not from a local station) as they do with CNN, FOX and a bazillion other non-local sources??

stile99
Cinematographer
One thing you can do is when the Hearst station comes back, watch a couple shows, make a note of the advertisers (especially any local ones), and drop them a note letting them know the dates the advertising they paid for wasn't able to be seen by first DirectTV viewers, then Dish viewers.

As for why Dish can't carry a national network feed, that's simply not how it works, that's the change that was made. It is no longer an option.

hddn
Visual Engineer
I would think that network/affiliate contracts would probably have a clause that gives the affiliate pretty much exclusive rights to broadcast a network's shows in a region to prevent the kind of thing lmunix is suggesting. I'd want a clause like that if I was a network affiliate. Cable networks have no affiliates to worry about. Either way it's all about the money. Broadcasters refer to viewers as "The product" to make sure no one working there forgets who the customer is. ;)

kc1ih
Character Actor
It's Congress that makes the rules about this stuff, not the FCC. The FCC only enforces those rules.