cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PBS Channel 915?

DISH Employee

To send a private message:

1. Sign in to the community.
  2. Click the message count or envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.
  3. Click Compose New Message.
  4. Enter the recipient's name in the Send to area.
  5. Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.
  6. Type the reply in the Message Body editor.
  7. Click Send Message.

I-am-a-robot
Camera Crew

Every time I try to enter a recipient user name. it refuses to keep it. I've tried direct typing, copy pasting and copy pasting the user name link. Nothing works.

morts01
Extra
We lost ours too!!! I called Dish and the person I was talking to can’t even bring up channel 915 in his computer and had no answer for me other then my bill has a $2 credit that he can see

I-am-a-robot
Camera Crew

I called and was told the same thing too. She said that PBS will no longer sell the national feed. I tried multiple attempts to contact PBS to see what the story is. It would seem they have no national support over the weekend. Here's a couple numbers you might try calling Monday. 855-827-9648 and/or 703-739-5000. In theory, you can leave a message at the 703 number and they will get  back to you. However, their voice-mailbox is full. I wrote a ticket at this PBS help website. https://help.pbs.org/support/tickets/new

I tried to be very civil, but made it very clear that if this is true, I have a major problem with this decision. This national feed is quite important to me as I live out in the boonies. I can't barely get them over the air and although I pay for Dish local channels, they only carry the one channel and  not the sub channel that has the national schedule on it. And I'm not sure how Dish gets the local channels, but a few of them including PBS is often not so good. But the national feed has been rock solid for ever and I got it back when it first became available. 

Maybe if enough of us complain using logic and common sense, we can get some action. Frankly, I have been sick about this all day! 

I'm thinking it must have shut down on the 1st of the month because I had Nova set up to record early that morniing and somehow I got an hour of a music channel on the DVR. I guess it defaulted to the next available channel. But when I saw that, I thought it was some trial promotion. (I hate when they record something for me that I didn't ask for!) But it became obvious Saturday morning when I couldn't find the channel anymore. No notice, no warning that it was coming. The channel was just gone. I even went through a full boot-up thinking the receiver may have got messed up. 

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Like CW the national feed is no longer available if you have a local version. This does not include the PBS sub channels. I would recommend directing your complaints to PBS on this one.

Mountainmama
Extra

I would like to add my voice to those who are unhappy at the decision to elimate access to the PBS national station through Dish.  It had unique programming that is not available through the local PBS station carried by Dish.  Dish channel 915 was the channel we watched most and we are very unhappy with the decisions that led to the removal of this option from Dish's channel programs. 

I-am-a-robot
Camera Crew

Do you know this for a fact or are you assuming that's the issue? I have had the PBS national and locals for a very long time. I called in to Dish and that's not what I was told, but I'm having a hard time getting a straight answer. I can't get PBS to acknowledge my questions.  If what you are saying is true, It might make more sense to dump the locals and get my national feed back. In this case, the local is useless and isn't even close to the national feed. 

To make matters worse, I get asked by a Dish employee to send a private message, but I can't get it to work. Another Dish employee tells me how to do it, which is exactly what I was doing and i reply that it doesn't work. I get no response. 

You seem like you understand the Dish system well, but I can't get confirmed answers to what is going on and what my options are. It's pretty frustrating. 

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Yes, it was confirmed. Even if you dropped the locAls, it would t make a difference. The local is available, which is what they would be going off.

I-am-a-robot
Camera Crew

Thanks, I just had a chat confirming that PBS dropped Dish and not the other way around. PBS is not going to hear the end of this. I have no  idea how many Dish customers were effected, but it would be nice to know when I talk with PBS. I know people these days don't like educational TV, but this is supposed to be "public broadcasting", non-profit. It's just not right. This isn't a "marketing thing" or at least it shouldn't be. 
"

ckgrickx
Extra

I would estimate this unfortunate decision of PBS has affected thousands if not hundreds of thousands.  PBS has never liked providing a national feed.  That's why it was never offered in HD as an additional effort for you to support your local PBS station.

My main source of actual 'fair and balanced' news has long been the PBS News Hour going way back to when it was called the News Hour with MacNeil & Lehrer.  With the national feed I could watch it at 4PM Pacific Time which was perfect for me.  I could put up with no HD for news.  Oh, an added benefit, no pledge drives.

Now I record the local 6PM broadcast and watch a day late.  It's no longer actually "news."  I do admit that the HD is nice.